Wednesday, June 15, 2005

The click of death.

I lost my hard drive last week. Thanks to my rsynch OCD I lost no data. Every loss being an opportunity, I decided to upgrade from Redhat 8 to Fedora Core 3.


I've been able to fritter away two whole days reinstalling and updating software. Now it's time to get back to work. It was fun while it lasted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Linux. My respect mounts ever higher.
Try Slackware, or even Debian. No marketing goodies, though. ;)

Radagast said...

Yay for Linux! It's amazing how fun it can be to spend days installing and fiddling with Linux. I'll second the Debian recommendation, though I seem to remember reading somewhere that the best distribution was the one you were most familiar with :)

I'm currently looking for a good backup option for my Linux box (besides tar); were you rsync'ing to another Linux box at your house, or to some other place? Reason I ask is that I'm trying to get an off-site backup going with rsync, but don't have anywhere to send the data; anything you might recommend?

Jesse said...

a few weeks ago I was doing computer things, when things went poorly, and my computer crashed. I turned it back on and a hard drive partition was not functioning. It was partition on the drive I store all my art on, but not the partition with the art, good thing. so I quickly burned it all to dvd, restarted the computer and the hard drive resurected itself.

A couple days later, I tried to open a program installed to the "iffy" partition. and the whole thing collapsed again, and it took the other partion, with all the important stuff with it, in a blaze of corrupted glory.

I count my lucky stars the crash went as it did, or I would be very sad loosing my creations....

Anonymous said...

Ack...language I don't get!

If you care -- my new non-baby-focused blog is up, and I posted some thoughts you inspired from your post on religion back in April.

Angry Professor said...

Radagast - I use unison to rsynch my workstation with my laptop at home (which is still running RH, 9 I think). So every evening I rsynch and I have a mirror of my workstation at home. Even with broadband access at home it's better to have a mirror, and then run unison again before I go to bed. Unison takes all the guesswork out of rsynch. I love it.

I was going to go with Mandrake (now Mandriva), but they have thoroughly screwed me over on their "turnkey" (ha!) cluster software. (Another, alliterative profanity could be substituted for "screwed me over." A virtual beer if you get it...) I am nervous about changing Linux flavors, and although I don't much care for where RH is going, as long as they keep sticking to open source I'll keep on with them.