Saturday, September 24, 2005

A night in the bookshop.

Angry Baker and I were out on a date last night, and ended the evening at our local book/coffee shop. It was a lovely outing, except for the following two sightings:

At the front of the shop was a display of Catherine Crier's latest, Contempt. I glanced at a few pages and thought, Yikes! This is scary! I put the book down, reasoning that I don't like Crier anyway, sort of a preemptive ad hominem attack to rationalize my desire not to read it.

I eventually found myself at the back of the shop, where I found David Kupelian's The Marketing of Evil. I glanced through this one, too. While Crier's offering was disturbing, Kupelian made me want to run home and hide under the covers. He writes (lies) about the "myth" of church-state separation and the intentions of our "strongly Christian" founding fathers. Maybe he doesn't live in the U.S.?

So I slunk over to the "guilty pleasures" section of the shop to see if there was anything new from Amanda Cross. No such luck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I'm not expecting anymore books from Amanda Cross. "The Edge of Doom", published more-or-less posthumously, had a feeling of wrapping up Kate Fansler's active mystery-solving days. (If you missed the announcement of Heilbrun's suicide two years ago, here's the obituary from Columbia - http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/03/10/carolynHeilbrun.html).

Angry Professor said...

I did miss it. That's terribly sad.