I did a bad thing. I invited Crazy Mother into my home for the holidays. She has, within 30 minutes of her arrival, sucked out all of my holiday spirit, like some sort of leech-like holiday spirit-sucking parasite.
Crazy Mother goes to bed around 7 pm, and arises at 3 am. She skulks around the house in the dark, leaping out to surprise unwary bathroom visitors to ask wildly inappropriate questions for 3 am, like, "Where is the antibiotic cream?"
Crazy Mother is a snoop. She will look through any cabinet and drawer shamelessly, and if she finds anything interesting, she will ask you about it unabashedly. "What is this medication used for?" "I see your retirement funds are mostly in low-cap funds. Is that a good idea?"
Crazy Mother refuses to take a shower. Now in the third day of her visit, she is starting to look like a homeless woman. She takes quiet little sponge baths in the bathroom sink (at 3 am), but for reasons that escape me, will not avail herself of shower nor bathtub.
Crazy Mother lurks. Rather than joining us around the table or in the den in front of the television, she stands outside the room in the darkened hallway, arms akimbo, watching our little tableaus with inscrutable expressions on her face.
Crazy Mother suffers from diseases for which we must rush out into the night and purchase over-the-counter remedies. This visit, it is some creeping and contagious rash that, by her report, has now spread across the upper half of her body.
Crazy Mother never says "Thank you," not for anything. After Angry Baker plunked down $50 for a casual meal last night, and I paid for another meal the night before, she said nothing. Absolutely nothing. She must be taken care of, and she expects that we will pay and that no thanks or gratitude is necessary. Angry Baker is livid.
Crazy Mother talks in baby talk. And not just to Angry Toddler (who keeps asking me when Gramma is leaving). She has always done this. I am at a loss to explain it.
Crazy Mother takes things. Sections of the newspaper. Books. Last night my placemat at the restaurant. She pulls them out of the hands of her victim wordlessly, no "Please" or "Thank you." I am at a loss to explain this too.
Crazy Mother eats like a bird when seated at the table, pretending a delicate constitution and even more delicate appetite. But she shows no such hesitation if the food contains sugar. Candy, cookies, cake, pie, rolls, chocolate, nothing is safe from her at 3 am. Crazy Mother talks a lot about an imaginary metabolic disorder, trying to get sympathy for the fact that she is fat even though she eats so very very little. At least we won't be burdened with these leftovers next week.
But by far the worst: Crazy Mother derives her worldview from FOX news. This morning I endured some lame exposition on why the public school system was failing and why charter schools were such an excellent idea: Bad teachers. And school shootings.
I can't stand it. I'm going to grab my Christmas tree and spend the rest of the holiday at the hotel down the street.
Saturday, December 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

27 comments:
Ah, sounds like my crazy mother, especially the never saying thank you and the eating only sweets.
Best advice I ever got for dealing with crazed parents: pretend you are in a John Waters movie. Somehow it actually helps.
This sounds truly hellish. Please let me remember your mother whenever I complain about my mother again. Because for all of my mother's faults, she certainly never immersed me in a crazy Christian sect, and she showers and says thank you.
For even more catharsis, you may want to consider contributing this to Phantom Scribbler's wednesday whining session (you'd like her blog if you don't already read it).
I hope for your sake that she's leaving soon.
Hang in there. And then go rent Jodie Foster's "Home for the Holidays." You can pretend the turkey is getting dumped in Crazy Mother's lap, and you'll feel better. I hope. :)
Eeek. So sorry. Your tale makes me a bit glad my Crazy Mother didn't take me up on my Christmas visit offer. Try to hold on...maybe cocktails will help? Merry Christmas anyway! :-)
Ah yes, cocktails. I recalled this solution early this afternoon. Now with several glasses of cheap red wine under my belt, I feel much, much better.
Merry Christmas and Happy Chanuka, everyone.
The hotel room sounds like a good idea. You could set it up with stuff from home that you smuggle in while she is dozing/watching Fox. Then you, Baker and Toddler can periodically "go for a walk" and spend an hour in the alternate Christmas hotel room to decompress.
I'm sorry to hear your holiday woe. I agree, it'd make a good contribution to Phantom Scribbler's wednesday posts. Best wishes for a bit of sanity and her speedy return to wherever she came from.
Wow. I'm truely sorry for your misfortune.
Oh, I just read the link under Crazy Mother. I hope my joking didn't offend. Best of luck to you!
Come on! Crazy Mother is from a different generation and this nit-picking is totally uncalled for. Cut her some slack. Think of those days when you didn’t thank your mother that she reared you into a fine young woman. Calling her a snoop is the height of inanity. What if someday Angry Toddler turns to be an Angry Professor redivivus?
We have Crazy Grandmother, and oh my goodness is Christmas a fun time. She didn't like it when them black people moved in next door, and she still doesn't like them, but she's starting to enjoy having their children around, because they look like (wait for it) cute little monkeys. But it's still a shame that the neighborhood isn't made up of good, normal white people who go to church on Sunday like regular people do.
A lot of loooooong silences around the dinner table, yes. My wife is Jewish -- I sit there every year, clutching her hand in terror, quietly praying. And apologizing in a whisper. Often.
grad student hack, you didn't offend me at all.
gops, I forgive you, for you have no idea what you're talking about.
anonymous, well, wow. You're describing my grandmother, now deceased. You brought back some horrible memories.
Anyway, Crazy Mother is now gone. We immediately stripped the house of all Christmas ornamentation: it took us less than an hour. I am boiling the bed linens. I am hung over. I am relieved.
Oy. I'm so sorry, Angry Professor. I expect that this Wednesday's whine fest will be more thinly attended than usual, but I will link to you. You deserve some serious sympathy.
I'm glad it's over. And reread this post before you think of inviting her again!
I'm impressed that you invited her after what she put you through in childhood.
But that's it, you never have to invite her again.
liz, she expressed the need to come much more often, that she felt bad that her grandchild(ren) didn't know her and responded so poorly to her. I can only hope that this feeling passes quickly for her, as I will never invite her again, at least for the holidays.
If you ever do invite her again (and I recommend against it, but that's just me...), put locks on some doors and put everything you don't want her sticking her neb into behind the locks.
But as I said, I'd take the no-more-invitations route.
liz, it's so hard not to invite her. Despite how horrible she is, she carried me in her body for 9 months. Contrary to gops' belief, she had little to do with raising me, but she did manage to keep me alive until I could do it myself. Now a mother myself, I am so grateful for this effort on her part that sometimes I can't help myself.
We have done the lock-it-all-up routine in the past, but just couldn't bring ourselves to do it this time. We couldn't find the key to the filing cabinet, and that small obstacle made the whole chore seem overwhelming.
Well, in any case, next time you invite her over, sneak out the back and come on over to my place.
You're on...
Angry Professor - contrary to ordinary usage of the phrase, it sounds like your crazy mother is actually crazy.
Have you considered talking about this with her doctor? I recognize that that may be difficult, but your own small son can see there's a problem. If a grandmother can't be nice enough to even fool a grandkid, there's something wrong. Since I assume you're complaining to her at least some of the time, it would appear that she has little choice than to act this way.
With or without a diagnosis from a professional, it certainly seems like you should stop getting angry when she misbehaves like this. She's apparently trapped in a very unpleasant set of behaviors. Just don't get emotionally involved: explain the boundaries, set consequences, whatever you have to do to minimize the overall inconvenience. If it doesn't work, well, you tried to be reasonable. It's out of your control, just like a rainy day.
Whatever happens, you have my sympathy. And my sincere thanks for a story that makes my nutty, racist grandmother look good (and who fooled me when I was a grandkid).
tlw, we (all her siblings and her children) have been begging her to consult a mental health professional for decades. She's now in her 60s, and she has behaved this way since she was a child. She's not psychotic, but she has crippling neuroses: she's not a danger to herself or others, but she is very unpleasant to be around. She isn't quite so bad when she's in her own home. However, her own home is in such a state that none of her children can bear to visit her there.
Despite considerable assets, she pretends to be very poor. (She is probably pretty cash-poor, but certainly not destitute: she has a trust fund and social security and a job.) So she refuses to buy health insurance or spend money on a therapist. In lieu of health insurance, she pours money into cockamamie stock investments designed to be liquidated in the event of a health emergency. Penny stocks...
< crunch, crunch... > (The sound of my head smacking the wall.)
Oh, wow. She's even worse than my mother-in-law.
I understand your gratitude for her having kept you alive until you could raise yourself. I feel the same way about my mother. Nonetheless, I came to recognize at some point that it simply wasn't worth it to allow her to continue to hurt me over and over again. Having my own kids is what made me realize that fact.
By which I mean, I'm with liz on the just don't invite her over anymore plan.
I empathize with you. My step mothers boys always try to pull me into a political argument so that they can vetn their right wing philosophies on someone. My favorite comment by my Don Knotts imitating sep brother in law is, "Whats wrong with war?" Where do you start?
I still have not decided if I divorced my ex-wife, or if it was actually my former mother in law I dumped. In any event, life is much more pleasant now.
"In lieu of health insurance, she pours money into cockamamie stock investments designed to be liquidated in the event of a health emergency."
Some hospitals will charge far more to uninsured patients than they would charge an insurance provider. I had a one week stay in California hospital which did not have my insurance information. They sent me a bill for, if I recall correctly, about $32,000. Once they had my insurance information, they charged Blue Cross about $8,000.
Ah yes, we ARE siblings! Thanks for posting this.
Post a Comment