Thursday, April 27, 2006

I must not be getting through.

One of my students in my Critical Thinking class from last quarter just sent me (and about 500 other people) a chain letter telling me how if I just forward it to 500 of my closest friends, Bill Gates will send me thousands of dollars.

4 comments:

Ahistoricality said...

I just got that from a former student, too. Makes you wish you could retroactively change the grade, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Oh, the irony. Rich. Just rich.

Miss Kitty said...

Good Lord. I haven't gotten one of these from a former student in a long time...but I do get lots of chain letters. Perhaps I need more emphasis on critical thinking, indeed.

Speaking of dumb internet stuff...my students love RateMyProfessor.com, and they expressed disbelief when I told them there should be a RateMyStudents.com for professors. "But, like, don't you, umm, like, rate us already with the GRADE?" one little girl asked. I explained that grades are just what you earn; I can't say about Student X, "This guy is a total moron, even though he managed to get a B in my class" or "Student Y is simply taking up space in college and waiting to get her M.R.S. degree. I pity the fool who marries this gold-digging, intellectually vapid tramp. If I could give an F minus, she'd've gotten that."

The class fell completely silent.

My goal is to have as many blue "frowny faces" as possible next to my name on RateMyProfessor. So far, it's working.

The Continental Op said...

In fact, there is a "Rate Your Students" site, started by a professor annoyed with RateMyProfessor.com.

Personally, I don't see why so many people have their knickers in a twist over RateMyProfessor. Of course, this could be because my students all gave me favorable ratings and a (completely undeserved) chili pepper. I suspect they were trying to curry favor. If so, it worked. I'm shameless.