Friday, December 15, 2006

An addition to my syllabus.

Informed Consent

I have read and understood the contents of the syllabus for SS 101 "Statistical Methods in Social Science" and agree to abide by the rules, guidelines and schedule contained within it. In particular, I understand that
  1. Dr. Angry Professor also agrees to abide by the rules, guidelines, and schedule in the syllabus.
  2. I will consult the syllabus if I have a question about the course rules, guidelines, and schedule.
  3. Dr. Angry Professor cannot make special exceptions for me without being unfair to everyone else taking this course.
  4. If I fail to sign and return this consent form I will still be held to the rules, guidelines, and schedule contained in the syllabus.
Signed,

____________________

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I gotta consider this....

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm stealing this for my syllabus.

Anonymous said...

Very appropriate for a research methods course. You could even use it for an end-of-quarter lesson on the importance of informed consent....

Anonymous said...

Oh, my. That's brilliant.

I may be kiting this for the spring semester syllabus.

Bardiac said...

Wow, that's a great idea.

I'm thinking we're all going to err, borrow that, yeah, borrow it!

(How do we give attribution to a blog?)

Anonymous said...

Bloody brilliant.

If I was doing this, I would probably amend it to remove the signature and change number 4 to state "I understand that my continued enrolment in the course will be taken as indicating my consent to these conditions," since applying the conditions whether they sign or not isn't really consistent with the principle of informed consent. I would treat it more like a research situation where return of a questionnaire or continued participation can reasonably be taken as informed consent.

Angry Professor said...

Dr. Worse, that's great. I'm going to make that change.

Anonymous said...

I freakin' love it. It's going on my spring syllabus, too. Thanks, AP!

William the Coroner said...

I'm stealing it too. How shall I cite it?

Angry Professor said...

No cites. Open source.

Anonymous said...

Yeesh, has it reached this stage?!? That's quite scary.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. #3 is my favorite.

On my syllabus, I'd probably add #5: I understand that Dr. Trillwing is nice and sometimes even funny, but she's a bitchy grader. I will only turn in my best work so that she will not put a curse on me and all my future children.

Dr. O. said...

Bloody brilliant! I wish I had seen this before the term started, I would have plugged it into my Advanced Research Methods course. In return allow me to share my favorite policy: if your cell phone rings in my class, you have to buy snacks for everyone for the next meeting. Students fall over one another to narc on the hapless student who forgets to put his or her phone on manner mode -- everyone loves snacks!