Since the inception of my little blog I have used Technorati to keep track of links. Recently, however, A Gentleman's C has been "spamdexed," and a search of Technorati turns up links to gay porn sites, fly-by-night travel agencies, and "shops" claiming to sell knockoff Gucci and Coach* bags. I am left wondering why no straight porn sites are turning up in my search. (Updated to add: There they are! Now I'm linked to all kinds of porn!)
I have a tech support request in to Technorati, but I doubt they will do anything permanently useful. Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic?
Updated again to add: I just spent an hour submitting all the damn spam blogs linking me to Blogger. Each and every one had removed the "flag for objectionable content," so I had to submit each one by hand. I hope these people burn forever in the fiery pits of hell.
*Apropos of nothing, I used to be a loyal Coach customer. I thought nothing of spending $400 for a bag that, at Target, would cost $35. (This was pre-Angry Kid, of course.) Then the strap broke on my $400 bag, and I tried to use the fabulous "lifetime warranty!" they tout with every purchase. Imagine my surprise when my bag was returned to me with a form letter and a refusal to even attempt to fix the strap. "Too bad," the letter said. "Here's 20% off your next purchase instead." 20%? For a $400 bag that lasted less than a year? Bite me, Coach.
Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
This has happened to a blog I wrote a while ago.
I tried to inform technorati about it, but never got a response (except the 1st automated one).
Your blog will soon be tagged as a spam blog and disappear from technorati and Google when people search you.
My solution was to start a new blog.
Nooooooooo!
Wolfgang,
I don't understand the leap from being cited by spamblogs on Technorati (constantly under development and frequently buggy) to being banned from Google. Blogsearch (blogsearch.google.com) and Technorati currently have nothing to do with each other.
> Blogsearch and Technorati currently have nothing to do with each other.
No, but it seems they use similar algorithms.
I can only report what happened to me (my blog) and of course it is just one data point and perhaps technorati and Google learned how to handle these things better.
Wolfgang, I guess what my question should've been was: Did you actually see your blog dropoff Google? Because if you search this one we're on via technorati, the spam links are there but if you search it on google via "link:" syntax search (link:http://gentlemansc.blogspot.com), there are none of those spam links. Just curious, don't mean to be annoying.
> Did you actually see your blog dropoff Google?
Yes I did.
I think technorati is quicker than Google (for blogs) and it might also be that the rocket scientists at Google meanwhile learned how to deal with this sort of thing. (My former blog became a spam blog during the fall of 2005.)
Actually, I do not really understand what the spambots achieve by linking to 'gentlemansc'.
I suspect somebody who was putting a list of urls together mistyped or something...
Or maybe 'gentlemansc' actually subscribed to a spam srvice to increase the page rank 8-)
sorry for three subsequent posts, but 'fall of 2005' above should have been 'fall of 2006'.
Wolfgang,
This is just another type of refer spamming or, as some would call it, marketing. Their link gets incorporated into some referral list (whether it be on your cpanel's webstats or via technorati). It sucks but it exists because people can't help but be obsessesed by their popularity (or lack thereof), hence the monicker "egorati".
Gosh, this has happened to me and I run a humble children's lit blog. All of a sudden I'm being linked from "Gay Egyptian porn" and Coach, of course. I guess I should start planning to move the blog to wordpress...
I started gettting these links a few weeks back. I know of at least one higly-ranked Blogger blog that has them too. They're annoying and embarrassing, but I wouldn't worry about them. Technorati is, as they say, broken.
Oops -- getting.
Post a Comment