Thursday, December 20, 2007

The doctor is IN.

Finals were over two weeks ago, grades are long turned in, and Fall commencement has come and gone. There are no students anywhere. Even the graduate students have left for hearth and home. The only people around are the staff, who are forced to be here, and a few -- not many! -- faculty like me.

I am incapable of taking a vacation. Sometimes I think about what I might do if I had some time off, and I always think about how nice it would be to come in and get some work done. So here I am, in an empty (but warm and well-lit) building, trying to sneak in a quick manuscript revision before Christmas sets in.

I complain a lot, but when the students are gone I really love my job. Sometimes I even love my job when they're here.

3 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

That would be me, too. I love working when the students aren't around...and when they are. I'll be in the office right after Xmas! :-)

CrankyProf said...

I went in and reorganized my office, in preparation for my return to teaching in January.

I'm oddly juiced about it.

I'm sure my fervor will burn off (probably on January 15), but for now, I'm giddily anticipating.

Franklin said...

I read things like this, and it gives me hope for academia. I've left the ivory tower this week, probably for good. If I'd encountered more folks like you I might have stuck it out.