My googling took me to a collection of the best parenting advice ever. One of the commenters writes
Your child needs some emotional blackmail. You tell him that God maintains a record of how many times a child is lying. Each time one lies , He puts a tick against one,s name. As soon as a hundred time is complete, He makes one's beloved one sick. If it continues for a certain number of times ( Don't mention any number ),He takes one's beloved one away from him. It may work.......Instilling a life-long fear of falling asleep might also work.
*For example, rather than asking "Did you wipe?" I can instead say, "Go back and wipe, you disgusting little animal."

13 comments:
Wow! You mean, with just one strike, I can instill lifelong paranoid guilt, and make my deity look like a vindictive, capricious prick?
Holy cow! What a rocking piece of advice!
(That is pretty frightening right there. I'd like to think you found a link to some parody site, but I'm afraid I know better.)
Jesus.
I trying to think of a way to cleverly instill this kind of fear amongst the high school students in my classes... LOL ...
I agree... best parenting advice ever.
You are OBVIOUSLY too harsh on your poor child. Just be her friend and let her do whatever she wants. Don't ever discipline her, that's obviously the cause of her lying. I'm SURE she'll be a well adjusted child/teenager if you keep following this advice.
Um... where did they come up with this collection of advice? Seriously scary...
So the idea is to lie to the kid to teach the kid not to lie?
Yeah, that works.
:(
So let me get this straight ~ the kid lies to the parent and the advice is for the parent to lie to the kid?!
I'm surprised they let the kid have the first 99 as freebies. Imagine if the advice were "10 ticks and someone gets it".
Wow, that is quite a collection of "advice". I think I'll file it under "How to help your child get into prison or equivalent".
Wow. Good thing I don't plan on teaching my kid there is such a thing as a god, because otherwise she might be susceptible to this kind of stuff from peers or peers' parents as she gets older. Even though that comment thread is over the top, I am sure that subtler versions of this happen all the time. Yuuuck.
Did you get this from a Catholic web site? I was taught this almost word for word by the Immaculate Heart of Mary nuns when I was in grade school. We used to call them the big macs.
They screwed me so badly that I suffered from free floating anxiety attacks for 20 years. I found that only way to be free of the anxiety was to forgive them for all the lies they told me.
As for kids telling lies, they will always do it. With my children I would to provide negative consequences for lying but also provide positive consequences for telling the truth. This way guilt and shame play no part. It becomes a long term learning exercise.
George Carlin did a wonderful routine about Catholic nuns. I first heard it when I was in high school. When I listened to it I did not laugh at it. I listened and said what is so funny, that is how things really are. I realized a short time later that he was making fun of them. That was the beginning of a long journey to freedom from anxiety and anger.
Actually, following the link, it appears to be an Indian/Hindi/Muslim site.
Hrm.
"Did you wipe?" I can instead say, "Go back and wipe, you disgusting little animal."
Hm, that is a very interesting illustration of an illocution, followed by an allocution. May I use it in my creative writing workshops?
Speaking of which, please do have a look at another academic blog that is full of allocutions, in some of them in Jacobean language, withal :)
yeomaniana.blogspot.com
John - you may.
Post a Comment