Thursday, January 21, 2010

I feel better now.

I began my day by getting a manuscript rejected. Not revise-resubmit rejected, but go-away-and-don't-come-back rejected.

While I had originally planned to go to the gym, instead I got a big box of fried chicken fingers and french fries and ate them all in front of the television.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally support you in this.

Aidan said...

Sorry. But hey, the same thing happened to Julia Child. So I think your response should be to go spend a few months in France.

Luis said...

Aaaaaaaand the lizard brain wins again. Good on you. Hope the sting fades sooner rather than later. God knows WE all think you're pretty rad.

Yes, I said "rad". Sue me.

Comrade PhysioProf said...

DRINK MOTHERFUCKING JAMESON!!!!!!!!!!!

Auntie Em said...

Yesterday's post strongly suggests that you set high standards for your writing. So I'm guessing the manuscript was alright but the intended venue was all wrong?

Still hurts like a kick in the tits though doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

This was the proper response.

I always add the letters to a dartboard, and work out my aggression periodically.

Miss Kitty said...

AP, I'm so sorry. (((hugs))) It always hurts when I get those letters, too--never seems to get better.

Anonymous said...

I empathize and approve your choice of cuisine. However, all is not lost. I got one of those "go-away" responses recently from a journal I really wanted to publish in, so I sucked it up, fixed all the problems remarked on by the reviewers (which took many months), and sent it back to the same journal as a new submission. It flew into the journal with only one minor revision. If you're not in a hurry, it can be done. But if time is an issue, another plan of attack is warranted.

Snuze said...

Ouch.

*sympathises*

D said...

Boo-ya! Fried deliciousness!

StorytellERdoc said...

Sorry about your manuscript, bud, but I'm happy you treated yourself to something without guilt. Now, get to the gym! LOL

Liz Miller said...

Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Yeast doughnuts are also fried. And the gym will still be there on Monday.

human said...

Back when I worked as university staff, a professor (a friendly fellow but with a rather large ego) was opening his mail in front of me and three other staff members, all of us women. One of the pieces of mail was a rejection letter for an article he had submitted. He was disappointed and complained about this to us, saying, "It's like when your wife says your house isn't big enough!"

We all looked at one another and burst out laughing. It made our day, if not his...

dale-harriet said...

1)clearly examined by someone devoid of perception, clarity of thought or good taste;

2) a very commendable reaction. Gyms are demonic chambers of boredom and/or agony. If I want "exercise".......I read faster.

Dr. No said...

Ugh, drink up. (AWESOME sabbatical clock!)

M. Paule said...

Ugh. I'm behind on my reading!

You have my sympathies for the rejection and my wholehearted endorsement of your therapy.

Khouray Hamad said...

I just got one bad review on a revise and resubmit and ate a burrito that likely weighed 3 lbs. while watching reruns of Bones. Also skipped out on the gym. At least I'm in good company.