Monday, January 04, 2010

So far, so good.

Today was the first day of my sabbatical. I reviewed an NSERC proposal and debugged some code. Finishing a review kind of sucked, but I took heart in the fact that it was the last review I will do for a year. (Except for two action letters that I can't get out of.)

I have moved to another department. They have given me a small, dusty, windowless office. I thought I would hate it, but I love it. I feel like I've crawled into a cave, that I'm hiding and no one knows where I am. It's perfect.

Unfortunately, my graduate students, clever buggers, found me rather too quickly.

9 comments:

Comrade PhysioProf said...

Those grad students are wily little fuckers.

M. Paule said...

Huzzah and kudos! May you stay hidden and productive for a long time.

Ianqui said...

Ooh, you're lucky to have moved to another department. Was that due to the kindness of some friend in another dept or officially arranged?

qaz said...

Obviously all that nethack playing they were doing paid off! And you thought they were wasting their time.

Anonymous said...

So your graduate students can read the campus phone book. Well trained students.

Anonymous said...

Is your sabbatical going to make you all happy and nice and not so angry? I hope not.

a physicist said...

Really? You're allowed to turn down referee requests when you're on sabbatical? I didn't know that. Good to know...

Miss Kitty said...

Congrats on the sabbatical! Here's to lots of productive research time, and much dodging of dumb questions. [raising toast]

Wouldn't you know it? My word verification is "ingrati."

AaSA said...

One Year Sabbatical - go you. But don't come to sunny Australia where the usual is 6 months. I have just finished one 6 month stint and feel like I have only just taken a breath! Top tip to newbies applying for sabbatical - if at all possible, only promise to do things you have already done (or at least drafted), and only promise to submit/draft/consider/research/explore the viability of ...etc never promise to complete anything, publish anything etc (unless its sorting out the yarn cupboard!)
AaSA - Always a Stress Addict - www.AcademicLife.com.au