My kid can join high school soccer but it is her responsibility, as a near adult, to handle it. I am more than willing to rush to school with forgotten homework, pay for science camps, and raise money for science olympiad. I just don't think her sports commitment should be mine. And that was pretty ugly and hateful thing to say in a world that loves to hate mothers.
@anonymous #2: Soccer is your child's responsibility as a near adult, but you are willing to bail her out on forgotten homework in high school? No hate on mothers, but my understanding is that extracurricular sports are a far greater investment from a financial standpoint than remembering to print off an essay. Extracurricular activities in general offer young people a chance to pursue interests and goals in which success is not necessarily denoted by a grade but rather in personal satisfaction and the empowerment of being a part of something larger than yourself. Sharing that awareness and sense of independence with a parent can be extremely powerful. My own parents placed my education before everything, but certainly let me fend for myself and face the consequences of forgetting homework or joining school clubs. I am a good student and they let me figure that out. One of the most valuable gifts they gave to me, however, was their presence at every school play and amateur performance I was in. That belief in my talent and support of my endeavors is one of the reasons I am able to pursue a Ph.D in Drama starting this fall.
I am a tenured faculty member at a large state university. My teaching efforts primarily consist of delivering statistics lectures to social science majors. These experiences have colored my perspective somewhat.
This blog is 100% FERPA compliant. It is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The Angry Professor is the creation of Mr. Norrell, who lives in Guam with four rhesus monkeys and a gecko. He has never taught at a university.
11 comments:
Agreed. The first one should have been lesson enough.
She should have gotten a stuffed animal, instead.
If I send you a list of my slacker friends with children, can you forward this to them?
Ooooohhh!
To have been a fly on the wall... :-) I do hope you told her that to her face. Right? Right?
This is what happens when people treat children as fashionable accessories.
What soccer mom horror prompted this comment?
Birth control is for intelligent people, not intelligent design believers.
My kid can join high school soccer but it is her responsibility, as a near adult, to handle it. I am more than willing to rush to school with forgotten homework, pay for science camps, and raise money for science olympiad. I just don't think her sports commitment should be mine. And that was pretty ugly and hateful thing to say in a world that loves to hate mothers.
@anonymous #2: Soccer is your child's responsibility as a near adult, but you are willing to bail her out on forgotten homework in high school? No hate on mothers, but my understanding is that extracurricular sports are a far greater investment from a financial standpoint than remembering to print off an essay. Extracurricular activities in general offer young people a chance to pursue interests and goals in which success is not necessarily denoted by a grade but rather in personal satisfaction and the empowerment of being a part of something larger than yourself. Sharing that awareness and sense of independence with a parent can be extremely powerful. My own parents placed my education before everything, but certainly let me fend for myself and face the consequences of forgetting homework or joining school clubs. I am a good student and they let me figure that out. One of the most valuable gifts they gave to me, however, was their presence at every school play and amateur performance I was in. That belief in my talent and support of my endeavors is one of the reasons I am able to pursue a Ph.D in Drama starting this fall.
Laura, I [heart] you.
Is your "fellow soccer mom" your wife?
Post a Comment