I walked across the Quad this afternoon. The preacher who shows up in the spring and fall was there, shoutin' about Jesus and how He loves all those sex maniac, abortion-getting, beer-drinking, dope-smoking heathen college students. Not 20 feet away, just across the sidewalk, was an Orthodox Jewish family playing frisbee... tzitziot flying and holding onto their kippot with one hand. The atheist student organization was passing out flyers a few feet further on.
I smiled.
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
What is one to think of the French veil ban?
This is an off topic comment. I have been reading you and Cranky Professors blogs for some time. I miss my daily dose of snarky now that Cranky's blog requires a password. Is there anyway for the silent lurkers to contact her to get a password?
Thank you.
Is the preacher named Jed?? There used to be a guy named Jed that I saw on several Ohio and Indiana campuses back in the day.
Egads! What part of Canada do you live in? Last time I was in the US I got yelled at (on a campus) for weating my "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you in to buildings." tshirt.
Anonimous at 10:46: Don't put your hopes too high up about Canada. You may be able to wear your "Science ...." t-shirt here (yes, I am Canadian), but just make sure you don't wear your "I heart America", "Gun rights = small government", or some other libertarian t-shirt. People are small minded in different ways in Canada. Their religions are: (i)The Canadian health care system is perfect, end of discussion and (ii) Canadians are way superior to their American neighbors. And, yes, they practice both at once.
What Woodrowfan said:
That just has to be Brother Jed and Sister Cindy! Man, that takes me back to the 70s when Jed was freshly converted from his drug use and compulsive masturbation and trying to change the ways of every frat boy on campus ... or the first time I heard Sister Cindy tear into sorority girl whores. It was like watching "Elmer Gantry" live.
Doctor Pion - Wait a second... Jed was a compulsive masturbator? How did I not know this?!
That man is batshit insane. Absolutely. But what a speaking voice...
Seems like every town has a self-appointed streetcorner preacher. There's a guy -- a Jew For Jesus, I think -- who frequents the plaza outside the subway station near where I work. For all that he's reading a book intended to be about kindness, he always sounds really angry because he yells so loudly.
Recently, a new rival has been showing up occasionally in front of the church across the street. He has a portable mic and amplifier.
Apparently downtown Boston is full of heathens and sinners...
I haven't heard him preach in over 20 years, so it is likely that his sermon has changed from the early days when for-ni-ca-tion and mas-tur-ba-tion were the staples of his rants. Right now I am imagining Sister Cindy showing up in front of the Miami of Ohio sorority whose escapades got featured on RYS. I'd buy tickets to watch that!
Indeed, this is an awesome country. :-)
Yeah, I saw Jed at three different schools while I was a student. I think this was pre sister Cindy. At one school he got tossed in a fountain after he went after one poor little coed in an especially nasty way....
Post a Comment