Wednesday, November 03, 2010

You might want to talk to your daughter.

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Tetedair,

I am one of your daughter Bete's classmates. I had the pleasure of sitting next to her yesterday, election day. I should point out how delighted I was to have the opportunity to see her, as she rarely attends class.

Your daughter is an international studies major, right? You must be so proud! She is an attractive, polished young lady, and her French is quite lovely. So imagine my surprise when she expressed her boredom and frustration with the topic we were discussing, which concerned terrorism in North Africa.

During our conversation I learned that Bete has "no interest in politics at all." I found this a strange confession for an international studies major. I said, nonplussed, "But of course you're going to vote today," and she, then hostile, reported that she had no intention of doing so.

You know your daughter well, I assume, and so you have no problem with her choosing a major that usually presumes a great deal of interest in politics, both national and international, and paying her tuition and fees. However, you may not realize that our governor, fulfilling a campaign promise, has frozen her tuition and fees for the last four years, and her refusal to vote contributed to his loss in yesterday's election. This means, starting next year when the governor-elect takes over, you will get to pay a lot more for Bete to attend these classes in which she has no interest. She may be relieved to learn, however, that many of those classes will be much, much larger, because we are going to have to cut teaching positions when the governor-elect cuts our budget by 10%, fulfilling his campaign promise. It's so much easier to ditch those larger classes, you know.

I'll let you explain this to her.

Best regards,
Angry Professor

1 comment:

faded said...

If the cost goes up maybe mom and dad will be motivated to look at the cost of throwing away money on their daughter. Maybe they will be motivated to stop spooling her.

It is always good to know the true cost of a thing.