Sunday, July 10, 2011

A hitherto unknown circle of hell.

Today finds me at a musical event sponsored by Ellesiouville's large neohippie community. Although outdoors, the smell of patchouli is stifling. Obnoxious vegan evangelists are lined up in front of the gluten-free pizza cart, all wearing leather shoes. Willing to pay exorbitant prices for organic snacks, they all nonetheless smoke like chimneys. One woman sitting near me has a two-word vocabulary, responding only "Right on" to any statement addressed to her.

Inexplicably, there are some folks running around in large fuzzy headpieces scaring small children. My best guess is that this represents some kind of performance art, like a really bad Blue Man Group. The Angry Kid responds in typical Angry fashion by rolling her eyes.

It is quite impossible to convey how dreadful this is. I don't know why I've tried.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on.

Miss Kitty said...

Oh, my word. How'd you manage to end up at this awful event?

My condolences, AP.

Anonymous said...

@Anon 1:24, hahahaha!

@AP don't tell me you're at the Oregon Country Fair, it's better than that, or at least so I remember.

I will say this: I'm giving up perfume. I had given it up temporarily to save money but I went into an art opening last night and nearly died. Everyone smelled of a different perfume and it was intolerable. It smelled like Macy's, only worse.

M. Paule said...

And this is why, despite living within a stone's throw of the venue, the Wife and I can rarely bring ourselves to make an appearance.

Because nothing says community like bad music, overpriced food, kitch, and public nudity.

I hope you made it through relatively unscathed.

Angry Professor said...

@Kitty, only true love could have dragged me there.

@Harker, the music was pretty good this time. The lack of personal hygiene was shocking. (Beards were never meant to have dreadlocks in 'em, guys.) No nudity; that would have been a plus.

They're continuing the series all summer. We should meet there and get all ironic on their asses.

3D Prof said...

But- was it better than the neck-bearded guitarist at the sammich shop... I'm guessing no...

Angry Professor said...

@Prof 3D - Define "better."

Bruce H. said...

>> Although outdoors, the smell of patchouli is stifling.

I have occasion nearly every day to be grateful that my sense of smell is significantly impaired.

Joeymom said...

Why do people wear pachouli? It smells like unwashed year-old gym socks.

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

I had an assistant principal once who found out I use incense to keep away the mosquitos away on my deck (it works!) and she gave me pachouli scented incense. Made me wonder if she hated me that much.