Thursday, August 25, 2011

This is what summer is supposed to be.

Let X equal the set of papers I wanted to complete this summer, where N is the cardinality |X| of the set X. Let Y equal the set of papers I actually completed this summer, where M is the cardinality |Y| of the set Y.

I am happy that M=N, and also that |X Y| > 0. I am less happy that
|(X\Y)(Y\X)|>1. I am fucking thrilled that M>4.

5 comments:

texasinafrica said...

Congrats! I think my M is actually > N, which is good what with the whole tenure track business. :)

Anonymous said...

Totally blew my proof of how |(X\Y)∪(Y\X)|>1 unless I am misinterpreting the \ symbol. Can someone explain \?

Angry Professor said...

X\Y is the intersection of X and the complement of Y.

Miss Kitty said...

I am an English professor, and am therefore completely confused. Hell, I had to get someone else to double-check the grade percentages on my syllabi. :-P

Anonymous said...

This Math professor is laughing hysterically! Thanks for your blog!