Tuesdays are tough here at the Angry Castle. The Angry Kid gets up at 6:30 a.m. and doesn't stop until 8:00 p.m. because of gymnastics and homework. Because she is unwilling to not do her homework, and she is too tired to think straight after gymnastics, we have the Tuesday night shitstorms followed by the Tuesday night meltdowns.
After all the tears and the ruckus come hugs and snuggling and bedtime stories. When she's deflated she always wants me to read the same thing -- "The Highwayman." This is not a particularly soothing tale, and I can't explain why it might be comforting to her, except perhaps because the repetitious verses and strong meter are somewhat hypnotic. Tonight it didn't take her all the way down; she also wanted "Shameful Death" and "Lochinvar."
She wants only poetry when she feels sad.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
What a cool kid! I'm sorry things are tough. There's a beautiful musical setting of "The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennitt that the Angry Kid might like.
Ah, the meltdown. What a fun time to deal with. Which reminds me - I'll have to share the issues I've been dealing with since we last had a chance to chat.
Yes, I know how long that's been.
That was one of my favorite poems as a child too. It always transported my imagination. I second the recommendation for the McKennitt version.
Now I feel guilty for escaping to the bar.
At least I read this as her wanting to do her homework..?
Tlot Tlot
I loved that poem as a young, romantic girl.
Post a Comment