Thursday, April 21, 2005

Things I learned today.

  • Sometimes the fire alarm will go off and it won't be a false alarm.
  • Sitting in your office with the door closed because the fire alarm is too loud for you to get any real work done is not usually a good idea.
  • Firefighters (justifiably) get really, really pissed off when you don't exit the building when the fire alarm goes off.
  • In order of most importance, the things you should take with you when your building catches fire are:
    1. your car keys;
    2. your purse;
    3. all your backup CDs;
    4. the computer box, if it is even remotely portable.
  • In order of least importance, the things you should not take with you when your building catches fire are:
    1. half of someone else's manuscript;
    2. a pencil.
  • I hope y'all's day was better than mine.

    6 comments:

    SuzanH said...

    Hope you are o.k. That's a scary situation to be in.

    Angry Professor said...

    I'm fine, thanks. I'm told that all the papers in my office are blown all around because the firefighters opened all the windows to air out the building. This means that my random piles have simply been rearranged into even more random piles.

    The fire was on the other side of the building. I'm not sure yet, but I think I got off easier than I deserve. Three of my colleagues' labs were completely destroyed.

    Anonymous said...

    Just out of curiosity, are you at the University of Wyoming?

    Angry Professor said...

    I'll never tell.

    Anonymous said...

    I'll never tell.

    Hah. I'm getting closer...

    Anonymous said...

    Angry Professor is much nicer about these things than I am. I merely delete comments that ask directly about my identity without replying to them. It gives the questioner the satisfaction of thinking that they guessed right and keeps me from having to actually ever respond or give any clues.

    Okay, message received. I'll back off.