Wednesday, June 22, 2005

No wannoo.

"No wannoo" is my daughter's favorite phrase. She says it frequently these days, usually when told that now is the time to change the diaper, take a bath, brush teeth, take a nap, come in and eat dinner, etc.

I agreed to serve on a dissertation committee for a man who audited one of my graduate-level courses a few years ago. His department renamed itself a few years ago to try to escape the stigma of their "science," but let's call it what it really is: Home Economics. Most (but not all) of the research in that department consists of poorly rehashed psychology, marketing, and food science. One of my colleagues made the mistake of agreeing to serve on a Home Ec committee right after she arrived here. She reports that the candidate had, among other grievous errors, misspelled more than one of the words in the title of his dissertation, and proudly reported p-values greater than 2. She was the only person on the committee who found fault with the candidate, and so the candidate was passed and received his Ph.D. She filed a grievance with the Graduate School and sent a copy of the dreadful dissertation to the dean for his perusal. Because of this kerfluffle the Graduate School now requires a unanimous vote for any candidate to pass.

When the Graduate School asks me to serve as the external member on dissertation committees, something we are required to do at least once a year, the offerings from the Home Ec department are the second ones that I cross off the list (right after all the offerings from the College of Education). So why did I agree to do this one? I just don't know. I was cornered, trapped, insane!

This gentleman would like to defend soon. But he doesn't just want me to show up at the defense, ask a few questions and then walk away. He wants me to read and comment on the rough draft of his dissertation. There's a message to this effect in my email box right now, staring at me, not blinking.

NO WANNOO! NO WANNOO!

7 comments:

Liz Miller said...

Laughed out loud at work and got a weird look from my boss.

Rudbeckia Hirta said...

At my institution all of those departments have been lumped together in the College of Everything Else, which is home to education, home ec, and gym.

When I was in grad school we had to find our own external committee members. Ugh, that was such a pain.

MH said...

I suggest you avoid responding for a good couple weeks, then send him an email asking if he has anything written that you can read. When he sends you the same thing again, set up a date to meet him. When he shows up, claim you have forgotten setting up that date and ask him if he has a rough draft to give you yet.

Eventually return the draft he sent you first (not the most recent one) with comments like "I don't understand pages three through seven", and "is this (circling either the clearly labeled passage outlining the basic argument, or the passage outlining someone else's argument) your argument?"). When he asks you questions about your comments look baffled and sad, and wave him away.

At least I think that's how it works, right?

Jesse said...

I took a home ec class once. My group got the weird cheese muffins. I wanted blueberry, but no... we got cheese. I dont like cheese muffins. they are dry and gross.

Anonymous said...

I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of program you're referring to. I work at a mid-sized state university, and while we have the usual suspects like "Behavioral Science and Health", "Nutrition", "Family & Consumer Studies", "Health Promotion and Education", and of course "Exercise and Sport Science" (aka "Gym"), none of them seem to have quite the combination of traits found in the one you describe. Maybe if I lumped them all together into some kind of uber-silly frankenstein department.

Angry Professor said...

Trystero, you're on the right track. Lump them all together. There are many such departments across the US, especially in large state schools with colleges of agriculture. UT Austin, for example, lumps "Human development and family sciences," "Nutritional sciences," and "Textiles and apparel" together in one Home Ec department. Other universities include "Interior design," "Hospitality management" and "Policy studies" in the same department.

Anonymous said...

While we're trashing the low standard of Other Departments....

Spring of my freshman year, I took the Econ pre-req class (microecon). They offered two flavors, one with calc and one without. I was on the engineering track, and was taking Calc II at the same time, so I took the "harder" class.

As best I can remember, the only calc I needed was derivatives. The math was unbelievably easy, and yet, most of the rest of the class, presumably Econ majors who opted to take the "with calc" flavor, just absolutely struggled.

Several years later, I was talking to an Econ prof, who told me that success in Econ depended on developing new models. The correspondance of these models to the real world was entirely irrelevant.