My hands hurt. My finger bones, wrists and forearms ache. I can't type, can't use my mouse, and (sob!) can't knit.
That is all.
Update: Things are much better. After no knitting for over a week, my left hand is recovered. My right hand still hurts, mostly from mousing. I think I have simple tendonitis. I have that little "click" in my wrist from the synovial fluid swishing around, and a lot of pain in the heel of my hand. Thanks for the words of support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
yikes! is it temporary? what happened?
Ouch indeed. Hope it's better soon.
What happened?
As a musician, this happens to me from time to time due to overuse. After a big practice, I'll do the combo of stretching, then ice, then Advil and lots of water. Then later, rest, moist heat, and Advil (in bbbbiiiigggg doses) helps me. Oh, and not lifting ANYTHING heavy, or opening doors (I use the handicapped buttons on automatic doors), and sleeping more.
But I'm not that kind of doctor, so your mileage may vary.
Hope you feel better soon.
Poor Angry! I hope it gets better soon, whatever it is.
Oh no! Hope it gets better soon. Might massage therapy help? I sometimes get bad wrist/forearm/shoulder pain when under stress and working a lot and it tends to help me (there's a spot in my shoulder and another near my elbow that seem to control a lot of that pain)
I dunno what's going on. It started during knitting a few weeks ago, and now they just hurt all the time. It doesn't feel like the time I developed CTS while I was trying to get Schubert's Sonatina I for Piano and Violin up to tempo. It feels more "boney."
No knitting for a while. And maybe no emacs, either, although I have no idea what I could use instead.
Have you seen anyone for this? I hate doctors nowadays, they seem to know nothing, but I wonder about an acupuncturist or something.
Soak them in warm water with Epsom salts? Steam them in a sauna? Put them next to jets in a hot tub? Massage, as profgrrrl suggests? Sleep more, as terminal degree suggests?
I don't sleep enough, regularly enough, during the semester because there are always university crises, things that have to be done suddenly. I end up with bad back pain over half the time, and think I am just getting old. But if I exercise regularly, and do yoga or meditate, and sleep enough, and don't ingest too many poisons--LEAD THE LIFE I DID WHEN I WAS YOUNGER AND FELT YOUNG
--then I suddenly feel as I used to, too.
I don't know if this helps. But I hope you feel better soon.
DeQuervans Stenosing Tenosynovitis? I've got that, it's boney rather than nervy, and it's a real drag. You can test yourself! Make a fist with your thumb on the inside and bend your wrist away from your body (to the left for your right hand - you're stretching the two tendons that run your thumb). If you get a stabbing pain, score yourself an orthopedist and some cortisone injections.
whoops, DeQuervain's if you're googling.
You might also want to try switching your mouse to the hand that's least painful right now. (I do this about once a week just to give my mouse hand a rest.) You can reprogram the buttons. Don't think "left click," but think "inside finger click," and you'll be fine. Your brain will adapt in about 5 minutes. (It's actually kind of fun, especially when other folks try to use your mouse during the left-handed weeks.) :)
TD, that's a great idea. One of my colleagues does this. Does anyone know how to do this in KDE?
What is KDE? :)
One of the desktop environments available for LINUX. Gnome is the other popular one.
Ah. No idea. On a Mac (yes, I use a two-button mouse with my Mac), I go to system preferences and click on "mouse." I remember doing something similar on a PC in "settings" or some place like that.
Let me know if you can't figure out how to remap the mouse. Super G probably knows.
I got it, thanks. It's in the KDE "Control Panel."
Post a Comment