Thursday, March 08, 2007

I hate traveling.

  1. I'm always convinced that my plane is the one that will make the evening news: the tragic, fiery crash with no survivors.
  2. All of the socks I packed have holes in the heels. All of them. At least I don't have to bring them home with me.
  3. I miss my family. My baby cries when I talk to her on the phone.
  4. I have insomnia because there is a TV in my hotel room and I don't have the self-discipline to turn it off when it's time to sleep.
  5. The food is strange and greasy. Where are the lentils?
  6. The bed is a horrible, bouncy contraption with box springs and the sheets are too tight no matter how much I tear it up.
  7. I worry about the Angry Baker and how he's doing and if he's too stressed out trying to do it all himself.
  8. The work I'm doing for [Federal Funding Agency] is interesting but we're isolated in tiny little groups and I feel like I'm being punished for something.
  9. The weather here is even worse than in Square State. How can this be? Square State is mostly hardiness zone 5, and [Federal Funding Agency] is in hardiness zone 7.
  10. I keep getting bad news via email. Our job search this year has turned into a complete clusterfuck. We may be searching again next year, even though we had six (6!) really fantastic candidates. I can't keep from thinking it's my fault, being on the search committee and all.
  11. It took me an hour and a half and probably 10-15 duplicated charges to get wireless access in my room.
  12. I hate sleeping alone.
  13. I miss the Angry Little Dog and the Angry Crazy Cat.
  14. I want to go home.
  15. Edited to add: I'm obsessed with the possibility of taking bedbugs home with me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

AP, you're one helluva mess!

Ahistoricality said...

Except for the pets.... you're ME!

Are you sure you have pets?

Anonymous said...

Your forgot number 16. There is a power failure and you did not bring a wind up clock or a flash light.

Anonymous said...

Angry baker is just fine. We're having some barbecue chicken dish tonight I whipped up on the stove overnight! And, steamed cauliflower. Yum.

Frankie doesn't cry more than 3 minutes after she hands off the phone, it's a tactic they learn at birth.

I wish I missed the angry dog and cat - you should've taken them with you.

Aside from them, all is fine. Enjoy eating meals s-l-o-w-l-y.

We love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

Angry baker again. If you want to bring something home, bring a formosan termite colony so we can send it special delivery to the bastards who sold us our home.

Anonymous said...

9. It's the ice and the damp. Just last night I heard someone bitching about the weather.

10. Sounds like a trend. The same thing is happening in my field. I am aware of several universities where they went through the whole interviewing process, in the end couldn't make a decision, and so decided not to hire anyone and "reevaluate priorities."

My impression was that (in my field anyway) there are two factions who have different views on what kind of speciality they want to add. So a candidate that is acceptable to one faction isn't to the other. Is this anything like what's going on in your department?

ZaPaper said...

"obsessed with the possibility of taking bedbugs home with me" in an enthusiastic way? Because that's messed up AP.

Like your angry travel posts though. I feel a lot like that about traveling too.

Anonymous said...

Far better no survivors, than the burns as a survivor.

If its time its time.

Mark

AA