Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lost in translation.

This is a paragraph from the owner's manual for our new electronic toy. I was searching for information on how and when to charge the battery.
NOTE
Charging a battery only happens when the power is off.
Okay, easy enough.

The battery will not be charged when it is naturally or purposely discharged.
Umm, wait a minute...

Because the unit cannot perceive battery voltage, even if you attached the battery.
Wait, stop. Go back to that last one and...

When you are in this situation, power on the unit and then power off again.
What situation? Am I in a situation? What about the battery... Wait!

Then battery charge will proceed.
Uh, help?

12 comments:

Not Important said...

And now can be enjoying supreme pleasure of this device for the entire duration.

Gina said...

Ok... I've had years of toy direction deciphering and I believe I may be able to help. The toy is probably designed to shut itself off when the battery reaches a critical level. If it does this, you can not simply plug it in and let it charge. You will first have to turn the toy on so that it can register that the battery is dead, then turn it off so that charging will begin.

Word verification says Irowk.. hehe

Luis said...

Maybe "when you've removed and replaced the battery, you need to power-cycle the unit so it can get a second to sense the voltage level and start recharging"?

Or something like that?

Amy said...

Delurking to provide interpretation!

Here's my take; the thing won't charge if it's switched on. If it's on you are draining the battery, period, even if it's plugged into the charger.

I don't think the thing can tell if the battery's dead ("the unit cannot perceive battery voltage"). It's just that the power switch has to be in the "off" position for the battery to charge.

Aidan said...

My wife's is cordless, but the charging base plugs into the wall.

Anonymous said...

My thought, and I may be wrong, is that it will stop charging when you remove it from the charger.

If you take it off the charger before it's done, purposfully or not, then you MUST turn it on, then off again for it to resume charging (just plugging it back in isn't gonna do it).

dale-harriet said...

Uhm...is this some sort of trick? Let me see...Yoda's writing charging directions these days?

Oy.

(My security word: "Oh, HI, yocdl!") {punctuation my own}

Anonymous said...

My guess is, this thing was made in China.

I had set of instructions for a piece of electronics that kept refering to the "...golden fingers..." You should not touch the "...golden fingers...", you should not let the "...golden fingers..." get wet and so on.

I finnaly realised that the "...golden fingers..." were the electrical contacts for the battery. The contacts were exposed when you removed the battery for charging.

Bardiac said...

I didn't realize vibrators had gotten so complicated these days...

Anonymous said...

If thing doesn't do what you think it should do, turn thing on and off.

Just think of Windows: Reboot if it hangs.

Anonymous said...

If the battery runs down while you are using the thing, it will not automatically recharge. To make it recharge, you have to turn it off, then on, then off again.

Anonymous said...

My favorite remains, "Switch does not work in off position,"