From: Arless Smart
To: Angry Professor
Subject: question about test
Professor,
Just a quick question regarding tomorrows test. Will we, as a class, need to refer back to the readings specifically. The only reason I'm asking is because there is a lot of readings and I didn't know if it would be wise to look over them again before tomorrows test.
Just let me know
Thanks
Regards,
Arless
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
Naw, why start now?
Since you teach stats, you probably have the feeling some of these guys:
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article.html?in_article_id=221485&in_page_id=64
show up in your classes sometimes.
from Dr Weevil's brother Steevil
Dear Arless: just give your tuition check to the Professor and go back to the bar. It's a win-win.
And we get to hear about it, so win-win-win!
Good gracious, no. Why would you have to read and then study for a test? Sheesh!
Reminds me of the first test in my Brit Lit I class. When the prof said we had to study *everything*, she really wasn't kidding.
Was the purpose of the "as a class" part to emphasize on lack of basic logical skills or what?
And this is one of the new generation, the next to lead our country? God help us.
What does "as a class" have to do with anything? And since when does "is" work with plural nouns like "readings"? WTF?
In my first undergrad abstract algebra course I witnessed a class mate ask a similar question to the professor:
"What exactly is going to be on the test?"
My professor answered simply:
"You will be expected to prove any of the theorems covered in class or in the text."
As a bonus he added:
"You can't *start* studying a week before the exam and expect a good grade."
I chuckle every time I think about it.
That is about as bad as the email I received from a student concerning an upcoming final exam. Apparently the student was absent on the day we started postmodernism and wanted to know if I could just "give" her the answer of what postmodernism is.
Uh, no.
Instead, I advised her to see if she could study the notes of someone who had actually bothered to attend class that day.
I just had a student tell me yesterday that she skipped answering the essay question on her last test (20% of the grade for the exam) because her "hand hurt" from writing her short IDs. (bangs head on desk).
The email is asking, "Do I really have to study for the test?"
Words escape me. If you decpatiate this person we would see an increase in intelligence.
Post a Comment