Sunday, November 16, 2008

She must be sore.

I have insomnia, and it's getting worse as I get older. Usually I wake up around 3:00 a.m. and can't get back to sleep. Last night I couldn't get to sleep at all. After tossing and turning for a few hours I pulled out Eliade's Myth and Reality and that did the trick.

Unfortunately, in the early hours of the morning, I was awakened by loud rapping. It was the headboard of the bed in the next room banging into the wall. It went on for 30 minutes at around 1.2 Hz. The rapping was punctuated by her moaning (I assume) with pain.

It's about 7:30 a.m. now. I've turned the television up as loud as I can. HBO is airing "Hairspray." I'm going to jump on the bed for a while.

18 comments:

Aidan said...

I sympathize most sincerely.

I take an Excedrin PM every night. Otherwise I only sleep for 2 or 3 hours. For years that was the case -- it was really an awful way to live. Sweet dreams be yours, Dear.

Anonymous said...

Eliade...now, that's a name to conjure the sweet release of dreamless sleep. I've been using Bernard Henri Levy's "Sartre" for insomnia, and it's pretty good. But, I can't imagine anything this side of "The Raw and the Cooked" that should work better than Eliade.

Christina said...

I used to get the headboard dance when I lived in NYC. Except it was above me and they would not stop.

Anonymous said...

Thirty minutes? THIRTY MINUTES???
It had to be the little blue pill.


My verification is STMASTER.

Yeah.

Angry Professor said...

@jillie - Thirty minutes of hard, fast banging. I would have been screaming -- for someone to rescue me.

Gentlemen, don't pound your ladies like this. You can never go wrong with the slow and soft.

Anonymous said...

I never really got why it's okay for people to blame others for their own sleeping disorders. If world war 3 starts outside my window and I want to sleep—I will. If I can't, that's my medical problem. It's the same as if like you catch Schizophrenia—you don't go around blaming other people because they refuse to believe you and play along with your hallucinations.

Miss Kitty said...

Ow! OW!

What's even funnier? My verification word is "gutsy." LOL!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should have called the front desk and suggest they send up security as it sounded as if the woman in the next room was being attacked. That may have stopped the randy little rabbits for a bit.

My verification word is "monsch"--sounds a bit dirty....

Angry Professor said...

@Anonymous 9:21 - I'm not blaming other people for my insomnia, I'm blaming them for waking me up. My inability to fall back to sleep again is my own problem; a lack of consideration is their problem. And your problem is that you are a jerk.

Anonymous said...

Angry at 8:24am--

Here, here. My neighbor's new boyfriend + open windows + lights on + apparent fondness for unconventional methods kept the neighborhood awake all summer. I wonder what people are telling their kids about this.

Aidan said...

AP -- I think I love you.

My confirmation word is phorno. Is that like fake porn or sumpin?

Anonymous said...

"And your problem is that you are a jerk."


Ah love yuns, AP

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the insomnia. Benedryl of Tylenol PM... better living through chemistry.

I did have to LOL over the story though!

Silver Fox said...

"And your problem is that you are a jerk."

Totally, and exactly.

My verification word is wootos.

Anonymous said...

I had an upstairs neighbor once who had a bed that was unstable - it would "walk" across my ceiling while he wooed his fiance, then new wife. Fortunately, the ceilings were thin enough that my flatmate and I could stand beneath their bed and laugh as loudly as possible, shouting suggestions and comments as we saw fit. It was hugely amusing.

My verification word is "cries," which is largely why I felt the need to add my 2 cents.

Carina said...

Mine is ethumst. Can't. stop. giggling. Why, yes 'e did. Heh.

Not Important said...

I laughed at your measurement. 1.2 Hz. You rule.

Also, Anon is being jerky.

NBarnes said...

Hate to necro the comment thread, but this post needs this link, just in case somebody someday comes back and reads it.

http://jackmormon.blogspot.com/2005/12/more-dilemmas.html

(safe for work, poetry (well, doggerel))