Monday, January 05, 2009

In which I find a silver lining.

The Angry Family took a short vacation this past weekend. We found a local hotel with a hot tub and purchased the right to sit in that hot tub for several days. It was great relaxing fun, mostly. However, had you walked through the hotel lobby at 2 a.m. Saturday morning, you would have seen a very sleepy woman reading a very large book with very small print: the complete and unabridged fiction of H.P. Lovecraft. I was that woman.

If I have to be an insomniac, I don't mind having the extra time to read something I wouldn't be able to read otherwise. However, I need to learn when to give up the fight and get up and do it. (A friend in graduate school had terrible insomnia; she never slept at all, as far as I could tell. She spent her nights in the gym and competed as a professional bodybuilder when she wasn't writing amazing papers that she published in places like Science and Nature.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovecraft has an amusing essay on the supernatural in literature. You'd smile at what he has to say about myth ...

Miss Kitty said...

WOW. Maybe I should try insomnia, too. I have a shitload of reading to catch up on...

Angry Professor said...

@AF - you were right, it did make me smile. The Edda as horror story appeals to me...

@Miss Kitty - sleep well. It isn't worth it.

dale-harriet said...

I've been away from the Blogosphere for a spell myself -- well, for a short time, not actually a *spell*, if we're talking about Lovecraft. So few people recognize, acknowledge or enjoy Lovecraft any more, it seems; I've thought it in the past but I'm sure of it now. LOVE to share a table bearing a teapot with you (even if we were both engrossed in our own tomes). Embarrassing (but true) fact -- duly rectified: some years ago a copy of "Eaters of the Dead" (Michael Crichton) was listed in the History section of the card catalogue....at the University Library here at UW Madison, WI. Well, why not? It's clearly a non-fiction work, it even cites "The Necronomicon" in the "bibliography".