Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I didn't know we had these in Red State.

There is a large shopping center only 15 minutes from my office. To get there, I have to walk over a bridge spanning the river. There's always something interesting in the shallows. I took this picture today with my cell phone on maximum zoom, which is my excuse for its quality.

dead beaver

Too bad he's bloated and dead. I'm pretty sure there aren't any of these beasts anywhere in the greater Ellesiouville area, so he must have been washed miles downstream from somewhere up in Red State's desolate northern territory.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't they have decent cameraphone models in Red States?

Anonymous said...

I never would have thought to log on to your blog and see gratuitious beaver shots, AP.

Not Important said...

He must've washed there from Narnia.

Shay said...

If you've got water, you've got beavers. Since their natural enemies have mostly been wiped out or relocated, they have reached nuisance levels on this side of the Mississippi.

(No coyote in his right mind will go after a 60 lb beaver when there are fat foolish farm cats for the taking).

Anonymous said...

Thank God there are comments. I had no clue what that poor dead beast was. And I'm Canadian, too.

Anonymous said...

There are plenty of those around here. I haven't seen them, but that's because I don't get up early enough. My colleague who walks riverside in the mornings knows exactly where they live.

Angry Professor said...

Huh. I learn something every day, whether I want to or not.

dale-harriet said...

On behalf of French Fur Trade Living History interpreters everywhere, I can only say "Awwwww!" (which can be translated as "Merde! A pair-fectly good *plew* eet has gone to waste and zerefore lost hees value, mon dieu!") (My verificaton word is "mampo"; isn't that a rich cajun stew of some sort?)

Miss Kitty said...

LOL @ Cranky!

When I was a kid, my grandpa's farm had a huge beaver dam (heh-heh, I said 'beaver') about 40' wide across what had once been a good-sized creek. For many years, there was a big pond behind it, and the ducks and geese really enjoyed it.