For the first time, I used LSU's electronic course evaluation system, so for the first time I actually got to see the student comments.
My favorite comment: "[AP] is one of the best professors I have ever had in my entire life and I have learned so much from her and will continue to apply the information I learned from her for the rest of my life."
My least favorite comment: "when test come up give us an outline of things to study so that we won't have to study for thing that are not on the test" [sic].
Oh well. You win some, you lose some.
Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
I think the reason for some, is to get a degree. Hence the idea among a portion of students that because they pay lots of money they should get a good grade regardless of the work they do.
It seems there is a mentality these days that by paying tuition you are buying a degree to get a job. Not paying tuition to learn stuff.
How interesting. I've never heard of a system that would let us see evals before the grades were in .... oh. You're done, aren't you?
Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a comment like the latter on my own evals this semester; I had some real public grumblers this time around.
Ah, the glory of online evaluations -- for my part, I just loved watching my response rate plummet from [whatever percentage of students show up to take the final exam] to about 30%. Of course, my university has its collective head up its collective ass and not only (a) created the evaluations through a committee consisting of people who had no idea how to construct a survey instrument; and (b) implemented the evaluations without a pilot.
Doesn't the use of grammar in those two comments speak volumes?
Doesn't it tell you everything you need to know?
Ahh, that's funny. I agree with Shelly. People like the second person set my teeth on edge.
As a (small) university student, am I allowed to read this? I find all of this hilarious because I, too, hate idiot students. And I do believe in stupid questions.
I have to admit that I hate being mean on evaluations, even when I have a crummy professor...
I can't decide whether to look at my evals now or not. I mean, we haven't actually had the test yet, and I know I'm supposed to wait...But there are enough students that I can't tell who's who anyway. I guess I should wait.
What kind of response did you get online? I thought part of the problem with online evals is that only a small fraction of the class does them.
Ianqui, this is the first time I've done them online. I don't know how to look at them, or even if I can. Email from the evaluation people contained the written comments, and indicated that the numerical ratings were being sent to my departmental mailbox.
Of 115 students, I got about 20 written comments. Hopefully I got more ratings than that.
Most of the evaluations that I receive are in Korean, so I have to ask my wife to translate them for me.
I've noticed that in one semester, my teaching will get high evaluations, but in the next semester, the very same class will get me low evaluations. Did I vary that much?
By the way, I see that we started our blogs on the very same day, February 27, 2005 . . . though I'm across the International Date Line, so I suppose that mine is one day older.
You're a statistician. What are the chances of our having begun on the same calendar date?
I suppose that this is a beginner's question...
Jeffery Hodges
* * *
My most bizarre comment on an evaluation form went something like this. I would also like to complement Mrs. Staff. Professor Staff is very well dressed, but I really doubt he could possibly be picking out his clothes. So kudos to her. This was for a graduate-level engineering course!
I don't really think about my clothes that much, and my spouse would never think about it either!
Post a Comment