Friday, February 10, 2006

I really want to know.

All you physiologists out there... Why does air shoot out of the inner corner of my eye when I blow my nose really hard?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you look really closely in the corner of your inner eye, you will see a teeny pinprick-size hole. It's a small duct that connects the inside corner of the eye to the nostril, which is also why your nose runs when you cry.

Is it wrong that I'm so very very happy when I know the answer to a question?

Average Professor said...

I used to date a guy who, for my amusement, once demonstrated the ability to blow air bubbles out of his eye via said duct, while underwater in the swimming pool.

Angry Professor said...

Cool! I was worried that I had a tumor, or that some bone in my skull was broken, allowing air to leak out of a sinus.

Did I mention that I'm a hypochondriac?

Anonymous said...

Well, as long as you don't turn into Crazy Mother!!

Anon: Enjoy your happiness... I don't know for you but knowing the answer to such a deep question does not happen that often!! ;-)

Average P: Gotta date normal guys ;-)

Average Professor said...

French, so true about the dating! In my own defense, I was about 18 at the time. I thought it was so cool ("My boyfriend? We were at the pool? And he was underwater? And he totally blew bubbles OUT OF HIS EYE.").

Carl said...

I believe David Blaine makes use of this duct when he swallows a diamond and has it emerge in his eye. Maybe that's a little more information than you needed?

Anonymous said...

When I press my right eye, it sqishes. Has done so for years. My left eye doesn't do it, though.

Any takers to solve this one?

Anonymous said...

I CURSE THEE, ANGRY PROFESSOR, FOR STARTING A GROSS THREAD!!

Anonymous said...

This morning I woke up, just starting to recover from a cold. I was still a bit congested so I got up and blew my nose and apparently I had some how gotten snot in my eye! yuck! I didnt think much of it though. Then just before I blew my nose and it happened again. I went into the bathroom to blow my nose in the mirror, and when I did, there were bubbles coming out of the tear duct in my left eye. I was a bit freaked out at first but after a few more tries I found it rather amusing.

jay

Anonymous said...

Bilateral subcutaneous emphysema of the orbits following nose blowing

scientific word for it, and it is the absence of a facial bone