Friday, March 16, 2007

Two reasons why I wouldn't miss teaching, much.

  • Student A has waited until final grades are posted to inform me that the score for his first exam is missing. We have no record that Student A ever took the first exam. We have neither his responses to the essay questions nor a scored bubblesheet. Possibilities:
    1. We lost both parts of his exam;
    2. Someone stole his exam; or
    3. It's a scam.

  • Student B has failed my class. An enthusiastic email from him says: "I have some great news! Can I come discuss my class performance with you?" Possibilities:
    1. He has a job offer and needs a passing grade in my class to graduate;
    2. His cancer is in remission and now he can finish all the work he neglected during the quarter; or
    3. He wants to tell me about Jesus.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both Student A and Student B become Student F

Miss Kitty said...

Faded took the words right out of my mouth.

CrankyProf said...

Occasionally, I wish I could give grades lower than "F." If these were my students, I'd be lobbying the Dean to give "Z's."

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what student B had to tell you...I bet it was a great line!

TenureTrackNewbie said...

Sad, very sad indeed. And what is even sadder is, that the nearly exact same scenario has so far happened to me every semester of my young teaching career. We must certainly be flakes when it comes to moving exams from the lecture hall into the office. Student B I know will want to tell you about the grand prize that you are eligible to win!

Anonymous said...

A silly little piece that might make you smile on a Monday morning:

http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?%20id=6fnxs4gx7j6qr4v7qn567y5hb52ywb33