I'm in your class but I have blown it off. I haven't been to class all quarter, I haven't done any of the homeworks nor studied for exams, and, not surprisingly, I'm failing. I don't want any special treatment from you, but I was wondering if you could take my name off your roster?Sincerely,
Fran Funtime
Dear Fran,
Unfortunately, I can't help you. I don't put the names on the roster at the beginning of the quarter, and I can't take them off at the end. Professors have no control over their rosters.Sincerely,
Angry Professor

7 comments:
Would that all students were this honest. Too bad Fran didn't think to drop herself from this class sooner in the quarter!
You mean this student is still alive? People who are honest are usually killed.
Dear Angry Professor: My compliments on your website, which I found through a reader's recommendation. I have a website, Readersandwritersblog.com, that promotes good writing, and I plan to add a link on our blogroll to your site as well as post a review of what I like so much about it. If you will email me, I'll be glad to send you an advance copy of the review for you to check for factual or contextual errors. The post and blogroll addition are planned for June 11. Best regards.
you mean!
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth (early 80s), I took a class in formal logic. I wasn't serious, rarely went to class, and took an incomplete. The following year, my professor let me audit the class "informally" and assigned a new grade--a B. I'm still grateful. If "Fran" is serious, she'll retake the course. If she is as fortunate as I was, she can audit in the same manner as I did. Still, retaking the course if better than accepting a failing grade.
I'm in your class but I have blown it off. I haven't been to class all quarter, I haven't done any of the homeworks nor studied for exams, and, not surprisingly, I'm failing.
I haven't been in academia for years, but I still have nightmares like the scenario this guy describes! What a horrible horrible feeling!
The last one I had, a few weeks ago, I dreamt that I was trying to complete my Ph.D. and my undergrad at the same time (for some reason - hey, it was a dream). I was so busy with my grad work, that I completely blew off the undergrad work, figuring that I could easily get through it with flying colors at the last minute. But then, it was the day of finals and I had blown off the courses so bad that I didn't even remember what I'd signed up for. I woke up in a cold sweat!
Shudder. I pity the person who actually has to live through such a scenario!
For years I dreamed I'd actually failed German.
Post a Comment