Monday, August 11, 2008

I would never make it in the real world.

A publicly-traded company asked me to pass scientific judgment on research proposals requesting company funds. I read one tonight. The proposal was remarkable in its utter lack of any meaningful content. Consider, for example, my interpretation of a critical graphic, entitled "Process":


The proposal also used lots of acronyms and management-speak, vocabulary designed to violate, on purpose, every one of Grice's Conversational Maxims. (The Angry Baker just tells me that I fail to appreciate things that are really important.)

Unless this company gives my lab research funds soon, within the next month, I predict that my tenure as one of their scientific advisers will last no longer than next month.

7 comments:

flip phillips said...

A hierarchy of loopdeeloops.

It's loopdeloops all the way down...

Anonymous said...

Is this a joke?

Mister Troll said...

You recommended that they fund the research, right?

Not Important said...

Recursive nonsense?

If my guess is correct, then I really need to get a mental enema.

Psych Post Doc said...

I'm surprised your brain hasn't melted.

Good luck.

Angry Professor said...

@ GDad - it was a serious graphic illustrating "process." The little boxes represent nothing, as far as I can tell. The arrows must represent flow of some kind, but I don't know what. My best guess is inputs and outputs, units left to the reader's imagination.

Anonymous said...

Be honest with the company. Let them know that this is just Buzzword-O-Mania. Comment sharply on the content-free pictures.

I did this once for a funding organization, fully expecting to never get another one to look at. But they keep coming in, because they know that when I find one interesting, or just carp about the inability to use a spelling checker, that this is a likely one to throw money at.

Always be honest on stuff like that and call a spade a spade. And for crap we have lots of snarky little phrases we professor types can come up with :)