Hello Professor. I am confused by the readings. What exactly are they for?
Lulu
12 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Hmmn. It's a shame that saying "The readings are a psychological test to see whether students can identify patterns relevant to their survival" is right out...
What a conundrum. Personally I'd go with a metaphysical response full of references to quantum gravity. But the appeal of a dry link to the dictionary entry for 'to learn' is hard to ignore.
ha ha! that's a good one. i once had a student at the 9 week mark in a lab in which they were learning to write an experimental report (due in the 11th week) put up her hand in lab and ask, "i don't get it, what are we doing?" at first, i thought she meant that week's topic (proper in-text citation and referencing) but she clarified by saying that she didn't have a clue what the lab was for.
Thanks for the giggle. I often got asked that as a high school teacher and had somehow forgotten that one.
The question is really more about whether the readings are part of the grade--will you be testing what they've read or doing anything that makes the readings important or are you just hoping they'll learn something (which obviously hasn't occurred to this person).
I get variations on that theme a lot in live classes. Not so much (but they still appear) in online ones. Often the "do I have to do ALL the reading? Which parts are important?" variation appears right around midterm.
I am a tenured faculty member at a large state university. My teaching efforts primarily consist of delivering statistics lectures to social science majors. These experiences have colored my perspective somewhat.
This blog is 100% FERPA compliant. It is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The Angry Professor is the creation of Mr. Norrell, who lives in Guam with four rhesus monkeys and a gecko. He has never taught at a university.
12 comments:
Hmmn. It's a shame that saying "The readings are a psychological test to see whether students can identify patterns relevant to their survival" is right out...
What a conundrum. Personally I'd go with a metaphysical response full of references to quantum gravity. But the appeal of a dry link to the dictionary entry for 'to learn' is hard to ignore.
Or perhaps a word-for-word cite of the course description.
Sweet!
On some level, you've got to respect this kid's boldness. You go!
LOL! Makes my students look BRILLIANT!
"This is flight 201 to Statisticville. If you're going to Frieswiththattown, please disembark and find your way to Terminal PsychPolisciJournalism."
ha ha! that's a good one. i once had a student at the 9 week mark in a lab in which they were learning to write an experimental report (due in the 11th week) put up her hand in lab and ask, "i don't get it, what are we doing?" at first, i thought she meant that week's topic (proper in-text citation and referencing) but she clarified by saying that she didn't have a clue what the lab was for.
Huh? I bash my head on the desk trying to get a brain reset. That just jamed me up.
Thanks for the giggle. I often got asked that as a high school teacher and had somehow forgotten that one.
The question is really more about whether the readings are part of the grade--will you be testing what they've read or doing anything that makes the readings important or are you just hoping they'll learn something (which obviously hasn't occurred to this person).
So, how did you answer?
I get variations on that theme a lot in live classes. Not so much (but they still appear) in online ones. Often the "do I have to do ALL the reading? Which parts are important?" variation appears right around midterm.
Mother. of. GAWD.
[headdesk]
Oh no-- I get that one, too. If I don't assign some sort of assignment, worth a shocking amount of points, they won't do it.
Then they always demand of the kids who DID read, "How do you people KNOW this stuff?!!" like it's some sort of personal plot against them.
The answer of, "I read" always draws disbelief and rejection, not comprehension.
Post a Comment