Monday, March 23, 2009

I was not looking forward to this particular developmental milestone.

Flushed with embarrassment, the Angry Kid whispers (loudly enough for her father to hear, unfortunately) that she has a boyfriend.

Deep breaths. Inhale, exhale...

"Is he cute? What's his name?" I whisper back, feigning enthusiasm.

"I don't know," she replies.

"You don't know? He isn't in your class?"

"No, he's a fifth-grader."

"Um, does he know he's your boyfriend?"

"No."

Big hugs.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do me a favor when this happens for real, try out the response that I have planned for my now-3rd grade daughter -- cover your ears and say "BLAH BLAH BLAH I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!" Let me know how that goes, please.

Anonymous said...

I suppose you've already passed the 'you need a bra' milestone, and the 'how moms and dads make babies' explanatory milestone?

I didn't think so. You just WAIT.

Dan said...

drdrA If I remember earlier blogging correctly, Angry Kid already knows how moms and dads make babies

Not Important said...

It's hard enough to listen to an eigth-grader discuss the issue. I don't know if my constitution would withstand a primary grade discussion of the topic.

I do believe I have the vapors.

Anonymous said...

At eight, Bear still thinks boys are icky and smelly and that they do gross things.

I am thankful.

Anonymous said...

Danny- I must have missed that post somehow. Forgive my spotty reading of said blog.

Dan said...

I read the whole thing in one sitting about a week and a half ago, so it's no surprise that I'd remember and somebody else might not!

Miss Kitty said...

Awwwwww!