Thursday, March 05, 2009

Nasty people show up in nasty places.

Tonight I had dinner at a TGI Friday's in the airport. Yes, it was disgusting. Don't ask me why I ate dinner there, just trust me when I say I had no control over the situation.

More disgusting than the food was the yuppie in the next booth. It seems he fancied himself some sort of wine connoisseur and he had ordered a glass of the house rose. It was not very good. He wanted to send it back, because it was not up to his standards. (Corked, maybe?)

He tried very hard to send it back. He realized, eventually, that his server would suffer for his lack of foresight and didn't push the issue. This did not prevent him from subjecting her, each time she passed his table, to a harangue about good wines and bad wines and how many wines he's tasted and how very knowledgeable and particular he was about his wines. He also marched up to the bar and demanded an explanation from the bartender. I didn't see it, but I presume the bartender just held up the industrial-sized box of Franzia from which his wine was poured.

So here's a secret message to Airport Yuppie Douchebag: Hey, Dude! A wine-tasting class at the community college does not make you an enophile. Who expects a van Gogh among the black velvet acrylics at the gas station? Lay off your server and go sit in the men's room, where you can jack off to your own magnificence without making this dining experience even worse for the rest of us. And next time? Order a fucking beer.

16 comments:

flip phillips said...

I keep a few of these with me for this sort of thing:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/accessories/the-douche-card/

Bardiac said...

He'd complain just as loudly about a beer, and how it wasn't as good as his local micro-brewery.

Sending him to the men's room is the best recourse.

Christina said...

Who orders the wine at TGI Fridays anyway? They just don't mix.

Not Important said...

There's a TGIF Express or TGIF Lite or whatever in the mall near where I work. Were I a wine drinker, I would not expect anything better than antifreeze there. I can't imagine why this doofus thought any different about the airport one. Unless he was already three sheets to the wind.

Anonymous said...

And really, a rose? That is the sign of a real wine connoisseur.

Shay said...

I agree with Christina...who orders wine at TGI Fridays, anyway, unless it's in a spritzer?

Anonymous said...

See kids, this is what snorting cocaine makes of you.

Elliott said...

Just because you're a douche doesn't mean that you're not entitled to complain about the overpriced swill called wine. I'm serious about that. Why didn't TGIF take the wine back and offer a replacement or take it off the bill? Pouring a whole quarter's worth of antifreeze down the drain would have affected the profit margin that much? Instead the jerk serving person decided to stick to their guns and insist that they wouldn't do anything.

Anonymous said...

Anon12:54 - There are some really nice roses out there, you just need to search for them. Though I doubt TGIF has them on their menu.

Elliott - Unless you're at a pricey restaurant, if you order the house wine, you're going to be drinking something pretty ordinary to say the least. And why should TGIF take the wine back if it wasn't corked? The man acted like an idiot. Maybe if he'd tried being polite they would have done something about it.

Miss Kitty said...

Ugh. What a tool.

chall said...

haha - what did he expect when he ordered "the house wine"?!?!? haha... wine connesour sure.

Anonymous said...

So, you either saw Congressman David Vitter or Congressman David Vitter's evil twin brother at the airport.

Glennis said...

Rose? at a TGIFridays?

Sounds like a page from a screenplay. What's that film where Jennifer Aniston works in a TGIFridays?

Anonymous said...

you should have said this to him right there and then because I don't think he reads your blog

Xero said...

Did you walk over and give the complainer a slap? No. You wrote about it in your blog. That will show him.

MDB said...

Usually when ever I go out to eat with friends, it is a chain mostly because that's what alot of my friends like. I'm more a of a hole in the wall or old family owned place kind of guy. I never try and compare chain food to someplace that is not a chain. I have lower expectations in a place like TGIF, Applebees, Cracker Barrel, ect.