Wednesday, November 04, 2009

These are the reasons I do not like you.

  • You invited yourself.
  • Your pants are too short.
  • You invited yourself.
  • You "up-talk."
  • You invited yourself.
  • Your theories bore me.
  • You invited yourself.
  • Your slides are filled with flying bologna.
  • You invited yourself.
  • You keep apologizing that not all the bologna appears to be flying.
  • You invited yourself.
  • Your data are uninteresting.
  • You invited yourself.
  • You wrote "human's" when you meant "humans."
  • You invited yourself!

9 comments:

Ianqui said...

No sh*t. We have had 5 people invite themselves this semester, including 2 next week, one of which is giving 2 talks. I HAVE OTHER THINGS TO DO, PEOPLE.

drdrA said...

I'm totally hysterical. We ALL know the phenotype.

Dr. No said...

Brilliant. I hope some self inviters are reading this.

Anonymous said...

I apologize in advance for this question. I'm a not-yet-tenured angry professor and I don't understand how someone invites oneself to give a talk at a university. Can you enlighten me?

Anonymous said...

I don't understand how people can just invite themselves - and actually GET a seminar slot.
I generally answer those emails with "I have asked around the department and there is currently no interest. But thanks for thinking of us."
Ridiculous, I will never understand.

Who are these people? I attended one seminar like that, and I was actually personally ashamed and embarrassed for the person. It really is quite horrifying to see this self-inflicted loss of dignity.

Angry Professor said...

@Anon 7:48 - Contact someone and tell them you'd like to give a talk. Then keep contacting them, semester following semester, quarter following quarter, until there's a hole in the seminar schedule that you can conveniently fill.

dale-harriet said...

I find each of these to be valid reasons for not liking someone; however, "human's" for "humans"? Immediate confiscation of all pens, pencils and computers. Either that or cut off the dominant hand. If I had a dollar for every misused apostrophe I encounter....I would come visit you at your University for the SOLE purpose of taking you out for a Lovely Dinner in the place of your choice, hang the expense. (Can you tell it's a BIG hot button of mine?)

Miss Kitty said...

This sounds like D2U's president. [sigh]

red rabbit said...

What's "up-talk"?