Monday, June 13, 2011

My favorite student interaction of the year.

"Professor, can you tell me what's going to be on the exam? I don't have time to study everything."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Favorite: Professor, I know classes end tomorrow, and I forgot to do any of the labs. When can I make them up?

I suggested that the next semester would be ideal since he would be repeating the course anyway.

Miss Kitty said...

Ahhh, the scent of FAIL is in the air!

Engineer said...

As an undergrad, my abstract algebra professor's answer to this question was:
"you would certainly be expected to demonstrate any of the proofs that were done in class, or as homework."

Very Clever...

Dr. Cynicism said...

It's a bit scary how much more frequently I get these questions. It's even scarier to realize that they don't see ANYTHING wrong with asking it.

Joeymom said...

I get this one every. single. semester. And it is still annoying as crap.

Joel said...

My favorite was, "In your lectures, can you only talk about things that will be on the exam? That would make things a whole lot easier for us."

Anonymous said...

I've had all these so many times. I'm so glad I'm not the only one -- these interactions make me feel so stupid.

Faded said...

The answer is, "Everything will be on the exam."

Robin said...

Every time I hear about an interaction like this it makes me sad. So many school systems have been forced to teach toward improving standardized test scores that the students they produce are no longer interested in learning for the sake of learning.

One of the best parts of college is taking classes that have nothing to do with your major and learning random stuff that may or may not affect your GPA. I was a Classics major, but I also loved learning about cosmology and Boolean logic and developmental psychology and feminist theory in media studies. Knowing more things makes life more interesting!

Anonymous said...

I believe we have the same students.