Many of Angry Kid's friends are becoming older brothers and sisters in the next month or so. I.e., many of my friends are nearing the end of their second pregnancies.* Consequently, the Angry Kid is fascinated with these big bellies around her and where babies come from. Her interest is now at a fever pitch. Babies come out of vaginas? How? Mommies push them out? How?
OK, then. She wants to know, she needs to know. We've been watching the birth scenes from NOVA's Life's Greatest Miracle. I pause the video at points to show her the mommy's vulva, her vagina, the baby emerging from her vagina, the baby's umbilical cord, everything she asks about. Like the Angry Kid's fascination with Finding Nemo and Cinderella, she wants to see it over and over and over and over and over...
The Angry Inlaws would probably have me imprisoned for child endangerment, if they knew.
*This has been playing havoc with my hormones. It is impossible to explain to Angry Baker that yes, pregnancy was pure torture; no, I did not enjoy puking for nine solid months right up until the day we delivered; no, I don't have the emotional or psychological resources to have another child; no, I don't even want a second child... JUST SHUT UP AND GET ME PREGNANT AGAIN, DAMMIT!
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh, I DO so understand your last paragraph. If I could skip the pregnancy and actual delivery, I'd want another baby. CrankyChild #1 is starting kindergarten, and my hormones are shrieking, "Empty nest!"
Liz here from I Speak of Dreams -- anecdotal evidence here. I didn't have much trouble with my one pregnancy. I have two sisters with different experiences. Sis1 had just nonstop nausea with pregnancy 1 (a son) and sailed through pregnancy 2 (a daughter). Sis2 sailed through pregnancy 1 (a daughter) and had nonstop nausea with pregnancy 2 (a son). I am not suggesting it's sex-linked, its just that experience with pregnancy 1 doesn't predict experience with pregnancy 2.
When JumperGirl was about 30 months, my dog whelped. JumperGirl was a great doula, giving the dog little bits of ice and lots of love. She was fascinated with the whole thing, but kept asking me something like, "I come again? You, mommy?" I finally figured out she was asking me if she had been born several times, like the puppies. In her baby mind, she was thinking it was the same puppy, being born over and over again, and she wondered if she had been born several times.
I'm sure my inlaws (& maybe even my lawful parents) would call child services. Too bad for them - I'm just not a fan of lying to The Kid. I think it is just plain silly. The Husband and I have already 'discussed' our differing opinions of what to say about Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc. He's only 19 months, so we haven't had any problems yet but...
Post a Comment