Avocado Almonds Banana Cantelope Mango** Peaches
I can't find any compound that these foods have in common. This situation really breaks my heart. I could live on bananas. And really, is there anything more sublime than an almond, if not a ripe peach? Is there any reason to continue living?
My physician has been singularly unhelpful, saying only that if it hurts I should avoid it. Gee, thanks. I was having trouble figuring that out myself.
I guess I'll always have butter.
*Hurt? Well, how about double-me-over in pain because demons have built a campfire somewhere in the vicinity of my duodenum? A glass of beer sometimes helps reduce the nauseating burn a little, but frequently I just have to go to bed and not move.
**Just to be funny, mango will also kill me. My last mango sent me to the emergency room, where I was introduced to I.V. Benedryl. If the hives hadn't crept over my genitalia and if I had been able to get air reliably into my lungs, I might have enjoyed the experience.

13 comments:
I know someone deathly allergic to avocados, to the extent that his wife had to avoid them like the plague when she was pregnant.
Allergies are fascinating from an intellectual point of view. From a physical point of view, they blow.
It might not be the foods: it might be the pesticides. Most of what's on your list, for most Americans, is California-grown. My father can't drink or eat anything citrus from California without major stomach problems, but Florida fruit, OJ, etc. is just fine.
Just a thought.
Ahistoricality, I already tried switching to the organic versions. I've picked the wild, untouched peaches off the tree myself and eaten around the happy worms inside. It isn't the pesticide. I wish it were that simple.
I just don't like mangoes, but the only true allergy I have (anaphylaxis, anyone) is to black pepper. Do you know how many people lie to you when they say there is no pepper in something in a restaurant?
Oh, and when I was Angry Kid's age, I was "allergic" to beets. Or so I tried to claim...
Yipes!
I'm so sorry about the pain and the hives.
It's a sad thing when good food tries to kill us.
Definitely sounds like an allergy. IIRC, many of these food items, along with shrimp, are often ones people who also are allergic to latex are allergic to.
Except for banana and canteloupe, the items on your list are all pitted fruits, almonds being the pit of a pitted fruit. Do you get a similar reaction from other nuts or pitted fruits, like cherries, nectarines, and apricots? You certainly have my sympathy! These are some of my favorites too.
Fructose Intolerance perhaps? I have heard it can produce similar symptoms. Maybe its a type of sugar found in those items, or a protein. I recently heard somewhere that when people are allergic to things its too a specific protein found in that thing.
as for the peaches, are you allergic to the flesh or the skin? According to a paper I read last fall, most of the people allergic to peaches, nectarines and plums are allergic to a protein in the skin, which can easily be removed with a fancy scientific procedure which really boils down to blanching.
I'm allergic to anything with a pit, any member of the legume family and just for giggles? CERTAIN types of bananas or perhaps bananas from certain areas of the world.
You may want to be careful with Kiwi...for some reason that sets me off as well.
Allergies are fascinating things, as was already mentioned - from an intellectual/scientific perspective but as an allergic individual...yeah baby - it blows...it blows chunks..
I am at this site due to my latest reaction to mango. Itchy eyes, nausea. It seems to be certain types and I sometimes eat some of the skin. Also gave me a type of conjunctivitus. I have had mild reaction mostly funny feeling in the throat from other fruit mentioned but not all times. Add plantain to the list. I live in the West Indies mango season brings varieties. Keep some anti-histamine on hand. Research says we are latex sensitive. Shell fish would kill me. The good food can be so bad for some of us.
Eat cautiously, stay healthy.
hello-
I was googling for information regarding "mango allergies" and came upon your website. I later chanced upon an article at:
http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/February04.htm
which should give you the common thread among some of your food allergies.
cheers!
hello again,
the search word to look for in the article is "Chitinase".
I hope this answers some of your allergy concerns =)
Post a Comment