Monday, June 15, 2009

Boy, do I feel stupid.

I just spent $30 so my fancy-pants dermatologist/plastic surgeon could squeeze a zit.

Note to self: Zits are not cancer. Relax, drink more.

15 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

But having someone else do it keeps you from really messing up your face. Right? Right?

OK, maybe it just does that for me. But I'm OCD, what do I know?

Not Important said...

So there is no Doug 2.0? That's good news. The $30 co-pay? Not so much.

Anonymous said...

$30 is cheap; what was the whole bill?

Chakolate said...

Never never nevernevernevernevernever second-guess yourself about health issues. If you think it deserves a look by a professional, do it.

Just look at it in terms of Type I and Type II error. ;-)

JLK said...

Ya know, for the same amount of money you could've gotten a spa facial.

And they would've squeezed any and all zits. ;)

Anonymous said...

Spa facials are more expensive.

I had what I thought was a zit in my scalp and I bought Clearasil for it.

It kept growing anyway.

Finally it revealed itself to be a sebaceous tumor and had to be cut out by a surgeon who shaved part of my head. So I had an interesting tonsure for a while.

Another time I thought I had a zit in my back and also bought Clearasil for it. It kept growing although I did not pay a lot of attention as I could not see it well.

It turned out to be a maggot, because I had been bitten by a bot fly.

Grossed out, I wanted it removed instantly but it was going to take days for surgery to be arranged and I could not stand it.

I taped a piece of salt pork over it and waited over a long weekend during which the maggot crawled out of me into that. I could feel it inching along and it was gross, but it was progress, and at least I was doing something instead of just waiting for a doctor.

I cleaned out the hole with hydrogen peroxide and that was the end of it.

Moral of stories: as people have said above, if something is worrying you, address it, don't wait.

Angry Professor said...

I taped a piece of salt pork over it and waited over a long weekend during which the maggot crawled out of me into that.

I think we have a winner! The thread is now closed. Kthxbai.

Bagelsan said...

Re the maggot story: many *many* adjectives spring to mind, but I'm going to go with "resourceful"...

Anonymous said...

Re the maggon: Truly an awesome story. All of a sudden zits on my face don't seem so bad.

faded said...

I am offically grossed out.

red rabbit said...

Re: $30: wow, that's way cheap for a derm consult.

Re: Sebaceous cysts: benign, no need to remove. But satisfying when you do.

Re: bot fly: you can also use vaseline. Salt pork=win!

Derm in a nutshell: If it's wet, dry it. If it's dry, wet it. If it's itchy, try cortisone. When in doubt, cut it out.

richard said...

Wow on the bot fly story. That's the best parasite story I've ever heard from someone who hasn't lived in central Borneo. (Trust me, you do NOT want to hear that story).

Anonymous said...

richard said "...(Trust me, you do NOT want to hear that story)."

Guinea worm?

-Jean K.

Stephen R said...

There was that episode of ER with they guy who had a worm in his leg. They pulled it out a couple inches, taped the end down and said "come back in a few days and we'll pull it out a bit further" Rinse. Repeat....

*ew*

richard said...

@ Jean Why, yes, now that you mention it, about 30cm long. A pencil was involved in the extraction process, which lasted several days.

By the way, extremely gross video footage of bot fly larva extraction linked from the discussion to the wiki page, and many, many stories...