- Baby couldn't possibly have received a 64% on the final. Baby is certain she aced it, so this must be a typo. She would appreciate a correction as soon as possible.
- Newton wants to call to my attention the fact that I have weighted the quizzes incorrectly. Because of these low weights, Newton has not received the A he deserves.
- Buford is befuddled. I have given him an F but his computations indicate he should have received a D. This is clearly a mistake on my part.
Saturday, December 12, 2009
This is my favorite time of the year.
Final grades were submitted yesterday. Within 30 minutes, three whiny complaints appeared in my mailbox.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Buford's, I'd actually take seriously, at least until I realized that sie had deliberately skipped "unnecessary" assignments....
"It's the mooooost wonderful tiiiiime of the yeeeeaaarrr...!"
Students have short attention spans. They will squawk until housing kicks them out. For us, that's the 15th. Then they'll go home and drink.
How about this one? Snowflake can't possibly have earned such a low grade on his paper, because he worked so hard on it, so I must be grading him low out of spite.
Clearly there is a huge space between these children and REALITY! I almost wish I could be around when the Real World catches up to them. "Gee, Boss, my paycheck only shows two days' pay,but I MEANT to come every day last week, doesn't that count for something?"
It is to weep......
I might have the winner....
"Dear Professor, I know I have missed many assignments in your class and not logged on for any chats. It is because I do not have a computer and my friend's computer is broke. Can I do some make-up work? I did read the book. I really care about this class and want to do well."
Hmmmm....kind of hard to pass an online class if you do not have a computer....
Buford probably miscalculated the mean of his scores just like he did to earn that F.
To Dale-Harriet: I totally agree! Talk about some potential meltdowns! Side-line seats would be great. One of my favorite sayings: "Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it." (Jane Wagner)
LOL! Oh, how I love the sound of shattering misconceptions of one's own academic performance and behavior. :-)
Entitled students crack me up. I just do not understand that mind set. As a student I advised my friend to very politely ask something to the effect of "for that last test we had, may I know the grading scale, please? Thank you" when he was informed that he had gotten a "D" on a test he scored 80% on (the class mean was 77.) And even then we were worried it was too impolite. :p
I had a student ask for a grade recalculation because he didn't believe that he actually got an A. Definitely a first for me.
I'm so glad I never did that to my teachers. We were allowed to discuss our grades with them, but only if we disagreed about specific answers and why they were counted as wrong. You nearly always lost that battle though ;).
Post a Comment