
The Angry Dog joined our family in 1997. She was a rescue dog, a woman with a past. We loved her at first sight. For almost 13 years she has slept with us, under the covers, between our legs. For almost 13 years, one of us has gotten up at 2:00 a.m. to let her out, because that's when she likes to pee.
Last week the Angry Dog was diagnosed with chronic renal failure. We knew something was wrong, mostly because the dog whose favorite food EVER was horse manure refused to eat even people food. (It was a hiking trip along the C&O canal when she found her first pile of unrefined horse poop. I can't describe a dog in ecstasy such as she was; there are no words.)
She's very early into the disease; her creatinine level isn't even abnormal yet. But she isn't herself. She won't eat, and she drinks to incontinence. She has been wetting the bed in her sleep. We started her on subcutaneous fluids last week, and today started anti-nausea and inappetance drugs.
Although she is happy, even pretty perky for an old dog, we're going to have to put her down if we can't get her to eat. She can pee in my bed all she wants, but I can't watch her starve herself to death.

39 comments:
I know there is nothing I can say to make this any easier. My heart breaks for you, the Baker and the Kid. I'll be thinking about you and sending you and the Dog positive energy.
It's so hard when a family member is in pain. I'm glad you're in a position to pay attention to her.
I think I'm' going to see if I can find my dog some *extra* rabbit poop (his own delicacy of choice).
All sympathy. This is the hard part of loving the littler ones.
I'm so sorry to hear this :(
Oh, so so sorry...
Oh, I'm so sorry. :( I've been there. I think the pain is worth the memories in retrospect, but it's always hard watching them go. You're doing the right thing.
Sorry to hear that, Angry.
I'm emerging from my lurker cave to say: I've been there. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback died from renal failure in 2005.
You might be surprised by how much she rallies with the sub-c water treatments. It gave our girl months. Good months.
But you have my sympathy, it's terrible to love someone and see them hurting.
I'm so sorry, I too have been down that road. When my dog at 15 1/2 forgot how to eat, it was time.
:-( I'm so sorry to hear this. We are dealing with something similar with a cat. The appetite stimulant/antinausea really seemed to help the eating. Perhaps you will have some luck with that.
so sorry :(
My utmost sympathies. My parents had to put both of their dogs down within the past year and it's nothing short of crushing.
It sounds like Angry Dog is in good hands. She is clearly loved and well taken care of and the time she has spent with you has obviously been of the highest quality. (Under the covers? You truly spoil her.)
I will keep my fingers crossed that she improves, but if she doesn't, take heart that you've made a four-legged creature's life generally wonderful. Easing her passing would be a fitting final gift.
I'm so sorry. You have my deepest sympathy.
If she's insisting on not eating, then she only has a few weeks left anyways. It's the same for all mammals including humans, usually a period of not eating preceeds death and it's natural. You'll know when it's time to bring the vet over.
I am so very sorry to read this. And, at the same time, it's so great to finally see those ears!
I don't have any other words.
So sorry to hear that, AP. I nursed my cat through several years of chronic renal failure and the lack of appetite that went with it. So difficult to watch. She's lucky to have you to take care of her.
We went through this with Our Malamute. It was very hard. He died two summers ago, and I still grieve. Finally this October we adopted a new young malamute cross - it eases the heart a bit, but also makes the loss more fierce.
I agree with anonymous, the memories are wonderful, but the pain is soo hard. I have always had multiple four footed family in the house and over the years there has been lots of pain, natural death, seizures, cancer, diabetes. It never gets easier. You and yours have my thoughts and prayers for easing your grief and storing the happy memories.
I'm sorry to hear of AD's troubles. I hope you can find a way to make her days as painless as possible. I'll be thinking of you, the Baker, the Kid, and especially the Dog.
I am so sorry.
I'm sorry your pup is ill. Take good care of yourselves.
I am so sorry.
Sending love and sympathy. This pooch found the perfect loving home - what a good life. And now a good, easy death in what could be a bad situation. Give her a rub under the ears for me.
Thanks y'all.
Our cat was just diagnosed with CRF, and everytime I congratulate us on successful Sub-Qs at home, I unfortunately remember that someday it won't be enough. You're a strong and brave family, and AngryPup is lucky to have you.
Sending sympathy and a good skritch for the back of Angry Dog.
Oh, no, sending lots of hugs your way.
hugs
Very sorry to hear it. I'm sending irrational but positive dog vibes your way.
So sad to hear that Angrypup is ailing. Sending a courage-filled pat and an under-the-chin rub.
Very sorry about your doggy. Our last one we lost to cancer, and it's a little piece of your heart that goes as well. One small word of advice: if at all possible, ask your vet if he can put the dog down at home, not at the vet clinic. Strange surroundings, bright lights, cold metal table, and the usual chaotic howls in the waiting room were not at all how we wanted our friend to go.
I am sorry.
I am so very sorry to hear this. Your chronicle of your life with your dog is very touching. What is love but getting up at 2 AM to minister to another's desires?
Best wishes along the way.
New reader of your blog. So sorry about your puppy. I have two very sick puppies myself both around the same age as yours (what was I thinking?). Hope you've been able to get her to eat.
Sending all kinds of good wishes for you and Angry Dog.
I'm so sorry - this is so painful. And thank you for taking good care of a little one.
Sorry, AngryProf. Our dachsie became ill in December and wouldn't eat. For a while he accepted boiled chicken and rice with potatoes (in broth!), but even that stopped. You do your best, and then you help them when it's time to go. She'll tell you when. You'll feel awful for a while afterward, but also relieved that she's not suffering. You're in my thoughts.
AP, my heart goes out to you and the Angry Family, and to Angry Dog. So, so sorry to hear this. You're all in my thoughts & prayers.
(((((hugs)))))
Sending hugs and love to your family.
Post a Comment