Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Someone hasn't thought this through.

I have received a missive from some LSU official informing me that, as a holder of LSU football season tickets, I am considered an athletic booster. One of the many things I am forbidden to do as an athletic booster is to provide to any enrolled student athlete any academic assistance, including tutoring, editing of papers, assistance in completing coursework, or the use of a computer.

13 comments:

PJH said...

What proportion of your students fall into this category then?

:D

Angry Professor said...

If it were large, that proportion, my life would have just become much simpler.

Not Important said...

I wonder if said official will soon face the Wrath of the Alumni (Fall blockbuster movie starring Angelina Jolie as Angry Professor, Harrison Ford as LSU President, Toby Stephens as Angry Baker, Ben Kingsley as LSU Official, Chris Colfer as the College Athlete, and featuring Stephen Toblowsky as GDad).

Miss Kitty said...

Wait...you're a season ticket holder?

You're right; somebody hasn't really thought this through. See the Jan Kemp scandal at the University of Georgia, early 1980s. Kemp, a reading education professor, refused to pass football players who had failed her remedial courses, and lost her job over it. She sued, and a huge scandal ensued. Bad thing was that so many dipshit UGA football fans (including my grandparents, whom I think truly didn't know she'd been fired for staying honest) blamed "that damn Jan Kemp" for ruining UGA's football season that year.

In the end, I think she won her unlawful dismissal lawsuit.

M. Paule said...

That's... amazing.

Angry Professor said...

@Miss Kitty, yes, I do. It's considered one of the benefits of employment at LSU. I sell them on eBay. When the LSU Mascots are having a good season, I can usually turn a profit.

Miss Kitty said...

GDad, for a second I misread your comment as "Toby Keith as Angry Baker." Eeeek!

Angry Professor said...

I wouldn't kick either one of them out of bed for eating crackers.

faded said...

I am speechless. If this is the quality of manager at universities today we are doomed.

econjeff said...

I think this is being misread. The faculty are still supposed to help the athletes. The stated policy is there to protect the university administration in the event of legal action. I find in general that university policies that initially seem odd can be easily explained via the marginally painful process of thinking about them as a university attorney would.

Angry Professor said...

Ah, if only that were true. Unfortunately the document is very clear. Even the dean agrees that, as presently worded, we are not permitted to provide academic assistance to any student athlete.

Miss Kitty said...

Wow, AP. That's just...just...bone-headed of them.

I guess we'll see how this policy works out once most of the Large Square U team becomes ineligible, or flunks out of school entirely. The fans will be shitting themselves. :-P

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the career advice. I'm going to buy season's tickets immediately. It's worth the cost of reducing attendance at office hours.