Thursday, January 19, 2006

Female ginkgos should be banned.

That will teach me to stay on the sidewalk.

Disgusting, foul things. I felt like Indiana Jones in the snake pit.

7 comments:

JM said...

No kidding! We have them in a particular quadrant of our campus, and for years I thought that quadrant had some sort of broken sewer line that made it smell so wretched. Then I found out that indeed it was the ginkgo. Bleh.

Liz Miller said...

Ah yes, the fetid Ginkgo.

Very popular tree in Brooklyn. Feh.

Radagast said...

mmf! is right; if you clean up the seeds (they're technically not fruits or berries, as ginkgos are gymnosperms) within a short while of falling, the smell never develops. If the trees are on your campus, someone should inform your groundskeepers of that fact ...

Chaser said...

Indeed. If properly maintained, ginkos are great street trees. Absolultely lovely in the fall if you can avoid letting the poo-berries develop.

grad student hack said...

I so read the title as "Geckos" and thought, "what the hell?" I even followed the link and thought to myself, "that's weird that she'd put the wrong link on here".

So now we know the speed of stupid, at least. ;)

Angry Professor said...

Wow, you know, I never thought about complaining about it to someone who could maybe actually do something. Light dawns over Mount Stonyhead!

mmf!, there's a large Asian population here, but I've never seen anyone harvesting the seeds. Now that you mention it, I've never seen anyone harvesting the mulberries or persimmons, either, and those were very popular with the Asian families at LGU, my undergraduate institution. We also have huge, old crabapple trees, with the real, non-ornamental crabapples, and those are left to rot, too.

Too bad. Such a waste.

Anonymous said...

When I was at a large Midwestern university, we had a number of elderly Asian ladies who eagerly gathered up the ginko berries. The physical plant people got very aggravated and collaborated with the campus police to drive them away. Net result? Barfy stink cheese smell. Did I mention that one set of these trees ringed the campus police station? Served the bastards right.