No, it wasn't the autumnal equinox, nor the first day of classes. It wasn't even the day that the "pro-life" fundies came back and paraded around the Quad waving large pictures of aborted fetuses.
It's today. Today I finished the 19th and last chapter of the book revision I've been working on since June. I didn't get those three papers in the mail, but the big bitch is done. Now I can go back to doing stuff that's fun (at least until my editor starts pestering me for an art manuscript). Woo-hoo!
Today is also the day of our first search committee meeting. Woo-hoo?
Monday, September 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
whooohooo and congrats on finishing!!!
Congrats! Buy why do the fundies come in the fall? Is that abortion season in Louisiana or something?
Hi William - I'm not in Louisiana, I'm at a Large State University. But to answer your question, I have no idea why they come when they do. It is, coincidentally, about the time the freshman are getting orientated. Perhaps they assume that all the 18-year-olds will be doing pregnancy tests as a result of that last fling on the beach before school starts?
I think it's in an attempt to get the freshmen while they're young and impressionable. New to campus, don't really know anybody, et cetera. I'm seeing them hand out the same little green copies of the New Testament here that I saw when I first started undergrad almost ten years ago.
At Large State University, Upper Midwest campus, the fundies used to come out during the spring -- poking their cute little snouts out of their warm burrows, sniffing the air tentatively, then unleashing themselves like a Biblical plague upon the land.
Post a Comment