Monday, September 18, 2006

Sticking it to The Man, parts I and II.

  • The Angry Baker just figured out a way to bypass his company's firewall prohibiting IM. I won't say how he did it, because I don't want to jinx it.
  • With our realtor's help, we crafted our "To Do" list for the sellers of the big little house in the woods. It's comforting to know that, even if they do everything on the list, we can still walk away at the last minute if we feel the mold is intolerable. The list includes (of course) professional mold abatement, and many expensive modifications to the roof and venting of in-house ventilation systems, as well as a new furnace, new bedroom ceiling, new basement stairs, new flues... Everything will be fixed. Or we walk. I hope they fix it, but my personal Predict-O-Meter has that probability at about 20%. Consequently, we are making plans to plant trees in our (present) back yard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know what the disclosure laws are like in your state, but in many states the owners would now be obligated to disclose all these things if you guys do walk away. So they'd either have to fix the stuff or drastically reduce the price of the house. So hopefully they will just go ahead and do the stuff since another buyer would probably want that stuff to be fixed too (unless as I say they reduce the price a lot and someone WANTS a fixer-upper). Mold is huge problem though and mold abatement pricey...ugh. Anyway- hope it all works out for The Angry Ones in the end...

Angry Professor said...

That's exactly what we (and the realtor) are thinking, too, turtlebella. Now they have to disclose everything. So they might as well fix it and get it over with.

Anonymous said...

I have worked on litigation involving mold and believe effective mold abatement for the extensive problems your inspector discovered means ripping down the structure. I stopped handling these cases when Texas passed legislation so favorable to builders and contractors that the homeowner is left with little recourse. Have you evaluted the purchase as a substantially-discounted teardown? Mold is very difficult to get rid of.

Ahistoricality said...

It's very odd to contemplate shopping for a house with that kind of leeway: I've never gone househunting when it wasn't "we're moving from hundreds of miles away and need shelter, soon"....

Anonymous said...

You academics can IM all you want. But the IM behind a corporate firewall is tricky. Open a Google spreadsheet (spreadsheets.google.com) and invite some via the given email field to edit/view the spreadsheet and an IM box opens up when they view the spreadsheet. Then, disregard the spreadsheet. As good as meebo.com for us corporate types.

--AB

Miss Kitty said...

Good luck, AP! And way to go with the IM fix, too.