Regular readers know that I have had certain health issues over the past quarter. I timed them well, and missed only one lecture.
Now, some students protested the loss of this lecture, as it is over some pretty cool material. I offered to hold an extra class, just for fun, so that we could talk about it. Then came the logistical problems: when could I hold an extra class so that all 120 students could come if they wanted? Why, Memorial Day, of course! I reserved a room in a building that is supposed to be open 24/7. The room was reserved, no problem.
Is the building going to be open for us on Memorial Day?
Why, absolutely not! It is a holiday, after all! What are you thinking?
My students have requested this. Please open the building for us.
No, we refuse to do this, because no student is going to show up for an extra lecture on a holiday. Are you crazy?
I repeat, my students have requested this. They will be there. Please open the building. It is not your job to make probability estimates about how likely it is that my students will attend a lecture on a holiday.
Well, fine. We'll open the building, but only if you promise your students are going to show up.
Shove it up your collective asses.
Oh, and by the way, it's going to cost you $150. Please send the XJ-7 WD-40 billing form to our office by close of business today.
Fuck you all. I hope you get terrible poison ivy this weekend and that it spreads to your genitals.
Monday, May 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I can empathise to a lesser extent. I'm currently being told to look at a room to make sure it's ok for a viva.
Only problem is, they've just switched to computerised room booking which doesn't let students log in...the old paper-based system let students book rooms fine.
Your selection of WD-40 as a form number is perfect. In case you did not know WD-40 is a wonderful lubricant that comes in an aerosol can. They need to spray it up their asses and maybe it will lubricate their brains. I assume that the facilities department has to open the building. They should have a good supply on hand.
WD-40 was originally developed for use as a lubricant on the Atlas booster used on the Mercury space program. The engineers wanted a lubricant that would displace water when the lubricant was applied. There were 39 formulations that did not work but the 40'th did. Hence the name WD-40.
> Oh, and by the way, it's going to
> cost you $150. Please send the XJ-7
> WD-40 billing form to our office by > close of business today.
Brings new meaning to the expression, "grease my palms"...
Hmm...
This may not be practical, depending on what you are teaching and the av situation as well as the weather.
But maybe you could have the class outside some place on the campus? In the old days, when Mr. B. taught at a couple of liberal arts colleges this was pretty common in the spring. There were even some small amphitheater type sites that worked pretty well.
Ciao,
Bonzo
Bonzo, outside wouldn't have worked. I showed a few movies.
I used the lecture hall in my building, and it worked out okay. I had to stand at the one door that opened to the outside and let people in, because rumor had it that propping it open would have set off the alarm.
About a dozen kids came. We had fun.
Post a Comment