Thursday, September 13, 2007

In which I want to stick tacks in my eyes.

hag
Why, oh why, is this the only advertisement I see in yahoo mail? I have tried to set my demographic information to make it disappear, but still it persists. For those of you lucky enough to be the target of some other campaign, you should know that the hag morphs into a sweet young thing and then back again, over and over and over. I find this creepy and offensive.

Please, please, show me ads for hair replacement and subprime mortgages! Make it go away before I break something.

9 comments:

Chris S. said...

If you use Firefox, you could install Adblock Plus (the best for this annoyance), Flashblock, and/or NoScript and block the ads from ever appearing. Here are some links:

Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Adblock Plus
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

Adblock Filterset.G (a list of blocked ads)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

Alternatively, you could do like I did and say "screw Yahoo" and go to Gmail. (If you are interested in doing so, email me--I know of a procedure for forwarding all emails to the new Gmail account.)

Not Important said...

Holy age progression, Batman!

It's very liberating to start viewing spam as performance art.

Anonymous said...

Along the lines of what Chris S. said: There is a web-proxy called Privoxy that you can run on your machine and it strips out most of the adds on the web. It isn't perfect, but good enough that I am always surprised how many ads there are when I use a browser that doesn't go through Privoxy.

- Matt

Anonymous said...

Trust me, the hair replacement ads are equally excruciating to watch. That's why I changed my profile to a female.

Adblock is a great idea but gmail is plastered with GoogleAds (not the gross flash ads, but still TONS of ads).

How do you do the forwarding?

Anonymous said...

PS I just sent a complaint to dermitage and told them to fire their marketing folks for suck a nauseating ad.

CrankyProf said...

It could always be worse.

Imagine the morphing that goes along with Enzyte/male enhancement/erectile dysfunction drugs...

"We're UP...annnnd now we're down. Inflated...now, not so much...buy Dr. Schwingus' StoppenZeFloppin pills at EPharmacy!"

William the Coroner said...

Oh, CHRIST, Cranky!

Anonymous said...

Hm. I think you're almost lucky. For some reason mine thinks I might be interested in hot Russian babes, not to mention industrial quantities of Cialis.

I'm female, straight, and married, people!

Anonymous said...

Hey - women age, and men age. It's a natural thing, happens to everyone sooner or later. Women don't particularly want to be looking at wrinkled old male geezers either, but we manage to deal with it. Please just grow up. And learn to respect older women. (Maybe go watch the film "Harold and Maude" a few times, too; that might help.)