Sunday, September 02, 2007

My baby.

HairShe is my life. She is my heart. But she is not me. She is not mine. She is herself. She is her own person.

If she tells me she wants to cut her hair, she wants to cut her hair. I have to make the appointment, and I have to take her to have her hair cut off. I have to let go.

It will grow back.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you'd been my mother 23 years ago ;) (would have avoided a nasty 'accident' with the scissors).

Rudbeckia Hirta said...

Clear evidence that you are not my mom.

I was forbidden to cut my hair until I was 18 years old.

At that point it was not "forbidden" but instead mocked with a manipulative, "Do you really think that it would look good short?"

I was afraid to cut it until I was 24 years old.

Wish I'd done it sooner.

Anonymous said...

I know it's hard to see such lovely hair cut, but that's a mammoth burden of hair for a child that size to cart around. As you said, it'll grow back if she wants it to.

How short is she wanting it? She may not be aware there's more two lengths: long (what she has) and short-short.

Amanda said...

You and she could look into donating to Locks of Love or a similar program if she wants to cut a lot off (I think 10-12" is the usual minimum). It would be a shame to let such gorgeous hair go to waste, and if she wants to donate again she'd have to grow it out first, which sounds like what you want. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope that if I ever have children that I am as good a parent as you.

Liz Miller said...

I second Locks of Love. Her hair will grow back.

William the Coroner said...

Locks of Love needs 10". And yes, it sucks to be the adult and give up their childhood. But, well, there you go.

#1 Dinosaur said...

Cousin It's little sister!

Locks of Love; definitely the way to go.

Anonymous said...

From the looks of it, she may turn out to have very *curly* short hair. You may need to let her know that so she can make an informed decision.

rosesmama

Anonymous said...

More proof of coolMomship:
David Shannon on the wall.

Jenny F. Scientist said...

I had hair that long when I was that age- cut it off when I was 12 or so. It was definitely heavy and rather a trial. But extra mama points for you! I hope she is able to donate it, if she wants.

Anonymous said...

Toooo funny!!!

I just went back and enlarged the photo to see WHICH David Shannon it is.

Nick.

I need trifocals.

Stunning hair. I feel your pain.

dance said...

Second the comment re expecting it to be curly. Apparently, having curly hair can be traumatic.

Anonymous said...

I have had hair just like that most of my life. Just wait until she feels the enormous relief that cutting it off brings. Weight, heat, neck strain, etc. You'll smile with her.

And it totally grows back. I've cut off that much repeatedly over the years. With hair like that, it's a cycle.

Anonymous said...

Her hair is really beautiful! If you're not interested in Locks of Love (there have been concerns about the number of wigs made vs. amount of hair sold for other purposes) you might consider Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program: http://www.pantene.com/en_US/beautifullengths/index_home.jsp

Either way, it will grow back! Good luck to you both!

Aidan said...

I first read this entry about 4 hours ago. And ever since I have not been able to get Sweet Honey and the Rock's "Your Children" out of my head. I've been humming/singing/tapping/breaking out in interpretive dance...I think a woman at the grocery might have been worried I was having a seizure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh. Good for you on being willing to let your daughter change her hair! But that is beautiful hair, and it must be wrenching to see it go. (I spend hours curling my stick-straight hair to look something like hers!)

I second the careful consideration about the future cut - there are great magazines with examples and such.

Also, Locks of Love has been under a lot of fire for their practices; Great Lengths from Pantene or Wigs for Kids might be better - if you decide to go the donation route.

God, that hair is beautiful.

Miss Kitty said...

WOW. What hair!

I cut mine off from buns-length to jaw length in the 5th grade, and quickly realized I didn't like it. It was long (past my shoulders) for many more years before I decided to cut it all off. Now it's 2" long all over. But it took me all my adult life to realize how I really liked it.

You'll both be okay, AP. :-)

Anonymous said...

Frankly, a lot of this discussion is kind of creepy.

One of the strangest things that ever happened to me was when I shaved my head. (I'm a man with standard short guy hair.) Two of my female friends reacted like I had hit their mothers, and that just blew me away. All over a haircut.

Chris S. said...

Her hair is so gorgeous!

me said...

i felt the same way when my son decided he liked a bit of a punk look . but yes, his taking control of himself, a good thing, and my giving it up, a tough thing i talked about with other moms but never with him.

i wonder if she could be an honorary junior member of the Luxurious Flowing Hair Club for Scientists?
(http://improbable.com/projects/hair/hair-club-top.html)