Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Angry Professor is not having a good quarter.

My department chair is pretty good to me (setting aside the issue of raises lack of raises). I don't have many issues with him. We're both hot-headed, and yell at each other before we think, but we've been able to resolve our differences. Some day, when he isn't chair any more, we might even become friends.

So last night's vivid dream is a function of my current job dissatisfaction, not about my chair. It went like this: My chair was, for reasons unknown, living with us in my childhood home, in my sister's old bedroom. On several separate occasions, I snuck into (what was now) his bedroom and stole things from him: a monocle, a pocket watch, and a box of chocolates. He spent the dream enraged and looking for his possessions, while all the time I was carrying them around in my pockets.

All in all, it was a very satisfying dream. I have been in a much better mood today than I have been for the past several weeks.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Ok, that was HILARIOUS. I am now imagining myself walking through my day hiding the monocle of various administrators I know in my pocket, and it is very satisfying...

Anonymous said...

Hmm. It must be dream season. Last night I dreamed I was dropping out of a class that a computer glitch had signed me up for. I don't recall what the subject was, just that it wasn't part of my career path at all, and the prof was fearsomely strict to boot, such that even getting a drop card was terrifying. I brought a friend for emotional support! Note: I graduated over 30 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Sounds passive aggressive to me.

Anonymous said...

Gasp!

Seriously beyond the pale... one should never mess with a man's wife, never shoot his dog, and never, ever take a man's monocle!

Not Important said...

I'm going to have to imagine my current albatross of a grandboss with a monocle.

Hmmm... A monocled albatross.