Tuesday, February 19, 2008

An important, exciting event!

Tomorrow night the Angry family stays up late. We will take pictures. We will also require
  1. a piece of plywood;
  2. two nails;
  3. an orange;
  4. a hanger;
  5. a marshmallow, tinted blue; and
  6. a miniature marshmallow.
We anticipate a good two hours of solid fun.

Update: Wow! Wasn't that beautiful? We made it to totality, then put the Kid to bed almost immediately. I felt like we should have done something, sacrificed a goat or defiled a virgin maybe, under that red moon.

We decided not to use a blue marshmallow for Earth. We opted for a small red potato, painted blue and green using tempera.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a little sun/earth/moon model to me. Nice. Never too early to do Science. Have fun. Two hours is a little optimistic. More like 20 min.

Been there; done that.

Johanna said...

Well, the eclipse lasts longer than 20 minutes. And not a lot of people can say been there, done that when it comes to explaining the solar system during a total lunar eclipse...

Darci said...

Dear lord...this sounds interesting...How does the marshmellows factor in?

Sarah said...

Hey! I guessed right, we're going to have an eclipse.

Sounds like a cool model, my crew will have to settle with drawings.

Gina said...

Anonymous, when children are involved it's vital to overestimate the time you will spend doing science exploration. Have fun Angry Family!

texasinafrica said...

Lunar eclipse model!

William the Coroner said...

That was good. It was too bloody cold here, though I could see it from the front porch. Then I went to sleep. No handy virgin around here, either.

said...

Everyone sing - Blue moon marshmallow

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

Anonymous said...

The eqclipse was beautiful. I watched it to totality. There are some neat pictures in the on line Seattle Post Intelligencer as well.

Shay said...

I am lucky enough to live in a rural area with little ambient light, since it was colder than a **** *** that night and I kept having to go back inside.

worth it, though.

Ahistoricality said...

Geography wasn't in our favor this time, but we did get to see some of it, at least. Gotta go better equipped next time, weather and topography-wise.

Still, way cool.