Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Damn that bottled water.

I went to a new dentist today. (My previous dentist was a jerk.) It's been two years since I've had my teeth cleaned. (Who has time to search for a new dentist when one's dentist is a jerk?) Disgusting, I know. (Sorry.) (Nonetheless, I had very little plaque buildup.)

I needed three fillings. He did them on the spot. He drilled me out and had me patched up in less than 15 minutes. No needles (no lidocaine!) and no dental dam.

If I had known what modern dentistry could be, I wouldn't have waited two years.

3 comments:

CatNFiddle said...

Sadly, I know how you feel. It took a move to another state and a year of prodding from my mother-in-law to make an appointment. It's understandable why I hesitated. My last dentist was so bad at his job, my new dentist had to remove cement left on one of my teeth from when I had braces. This cement was there for twenty years!

Anonymous said...

No needles? How does that work?

Here in Podunk, there is a shortage of dentists. When I broke a tooth, I had 3 appointments - one to look at the tooth and say 'yep, it sure it broken', one Two Weeks Later to put on a temporary crown, and one two weeks later to put on the permanent crown. When this happened before, in a small city, steps 1 and 2 occurred in the same day and step 3 a week later.

Angry Professor said...

Only one of the fillings was on a biting surface. The one on the biting surface was on the edge of a pre-existing filling. So none of them required deep excavation. My other dentist would have loaded me up with lidocaine anyway and mucked about in there forever. (A similar procedure in his office two years ago took an hour an a half and I spent the day drooling like an idiot.)

We did it bareback. No lidocaine, no pain, just a little bit of pressure when the drill hit pay dirt.